We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West End Road

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
95 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
West End Road

We were in Roatan last year and loved staying in the West End but now we're trying to figure out whether or not to cancel the reservations we made for this February. What's the latest scoop with the road and the mess it was making in the water? Is that all cleaned up now? What's the noise level like? Is it safe to assume the heavy construction will still be going on?

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
468 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: West End Road

The road is a real mess, muddy and hard if not impossible for cars to make it through in some areas. It seems as though the amount of work being done is increasing which makes one believe progress is occurring, but who knows in the end. The good news is that it is not affecting the water in terms of visibility. I've lived and worked down here for just over six years and my job depends on tourism. With that mentioned as my disclaimer, I would give it to you straight. No need to cancel as of yet. If you are renting a car, motorcycle, moped or have other transportation arrangements, you can still get around as some temporary access roads have been set up. Top side, things are a bit muddy. Underwater it's still beautiful. We are seeing more and more turtles which was not the case way back when. The marine park is making a difference, thanks to all visiting divers who support it. Hopefully this helps for your decision.

Should you have more specific questions, feel free to email me. Have a great day.

Roatan
Level Contributor
292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: West End Road

I agree with the above. Construction started mid July and there have only been two or three days when trffic couldn't get through for a few hours. As long as your walking and not driving, you will probably encounter some interesting bypasses.

The trenching is currently at the baptist church heading towards Coconut Tree at twenty feet per day. The latest from the engineers is they wil work through the holidays in order to fiinish with the big equipment early in the new year. Lighter construction will continue for several more months.

As for noise, I'm in the center of town behind Splash Inn and have to listen hard to tell if the machines are digging.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
95 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: West End Road

This is REALLY helpful information and I thank you both. We love Roatan and wanted to go back but not to listen to heavy equipment or to have problems walking through town. Again, thank you!

Houston
Level Contributor
80 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: West End Road

I was in Roatan for 11 weeks in June to August and 10 weeks in September to 5 November. Until the rainy season began in late September, I loved it, but left 5 November instead of my planned 19 November departure.

The rain coupled with the sandy road and construction made the West End road a muddy MESS that was very depressing. I had a pair of sandals I planned to throw away when I left, and did. My plan was to wear these only when it was muddy and wear a different pair the rest of the time. I wore only the mud sandals the last 6 weeks I was there and stopped running the West End road completely.

The bottom line in my opinion - the sandy bay road ambiance before the construction SIGNFICANTLY downgraded the "experience" at West End.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
47 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: West End Road

Does the road construction go through half moon bay also ?

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
95 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: West End Road

I was wondering about the town "charm" and how the road construction was changing it.

Worcester
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: West End Road

If you want a truthful answer to your question, check out this FB page: https:/…. The commenters above are intereted in promoting tourism, but the posters to this FB page, who are living in West End every day, are writing about not being able to get out, about the garbage not being picked up, and about the muddy waters filled with sewage. One person who took a tourist out for a snorkel described the poo-like waters. In case the URL won't post here, you can find it on FB by searching for the No West End Road page.

Edited: 12:15 am, December 09, 2011
Roatan
Level Contributor
292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: West End Road

While I am interested in promoting tourism, I am also very concerned about protecting both tourists and locals that depend on tourism to feed thier children. The answer I provided was and is still accurate.

Dispite the doom and gloom posed on the "No West End Road" two of the four projects are complete. The septic treatment plant and two 25,000 gallon water tanks have been built, the third project, a new water system is nearing completion and is already functioning very well, clean pottable water at a steady 30 psi.

The fourth and most ambitious project is the actual sewer lines which have run into construction delays and huge cost overages. Not unexpected when you are trenchng below sea level on a beach road. Within two or three weeks the trencing will be complete. Elements of construction, digging and connecting will go on for many more months but will unlikely effect traffic

If you take the time to read through the posts on "No West End Road" you will find the vast majority of complaints concern road quality (mud) and traffic issues. the mud is of course worse near the actual construction but anyone that has visited West End during rainy season can attest that we never had a great road for wet weather.

Property owners are taking action to clean up thier own areas, the muni is doing what it can with limited resourses, but inevitably, we will need the sun and wind to dry out road surfaces. That will happen long before February when Tryptime arrives.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: West End Road

It's really hard to blame construction for water quality during the rainy season. Roatan is steep and the rain runoff comes downhill fast often messing up the sea water clarity well out beyond the reef. The road construction mostly involves digging and moving sand, which tends to settle out rapidly and not mess up the clarity. So if the visibility is bad it's most likely because it just rained heavily, and tomorrow it will be better. Unless it rains again. I've been on dives where the DM decided to pass on one site because of clarity but found good clarity a short distance away.

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
496 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: West End Road

So, 50,000 gallons of water in tanks, the norm is to figure 2-3 hundred gallons per person per day, many homes on Roatan have 15 or 20k cisterns, they have 50k for all of West End??, seems they built a bit small, Sure they got some water lines in but forgot about organizing and digging one time for water and sewer, they dig, put in water lines, fill, then dig for sewer, then break water lines, then fill in then dig again to fix water and continue sewer project. And of course all this road work if being done at time time that it is illegal to do roadwork on Roatan because of the runoff it causes