We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash while staying in West Bay

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Topic
Cash while staying in West Bay

We are staying in West Bay soon and I see that some local restaurants, etc accept only cash rather than cards.

Where is the best place to exchange USD for L following arrival at the airport?

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
141 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cash while staying in West Bay

I'm not an expert but we were there for 2 weeks last year and for us, we took US dollars, remember to bring alot of singles for tips, they run out of small change at the hotels quite often

most places take US cash as opposed to Lemps so i'm not sure if you need to do an exchange.... and most places will take CC's ...but there is a fee and remember to tell your CC company that you are travelling as they sometimes put a hold on your account if they see some charges from somewhere half around the world..

.we did charge alot of meals on our cc and i was surprised about how low it was...some restaurants show the prices in Lemps and convert to US then CDN, on your cc, but the costs weren't outrageous..

Roatan its a wonderful place....i should be a poster girl for ROATAN...uh ok...i'm a little old for that......

AAAAAAAAAAAAAJHHHHHHHHHH cant wait to get back there!!!!!!

Roatan
Level Contributor
292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cash while staying in West Bay

There is a Banco LaFise right at the airport. They also process the departure taxes but by the time you clear customs and get bags the departing people should be all processed into the departure lounge.

I don't think they do CDN dollars but if you have US they can exchange it. I would think $50 USD would cover water taxies and some off site drinks.

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
585 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cash while staying in West Bay

No need to exchange U.S dollars. They are accepted as their own Lempira. There are cash machines at the airport, and West End but unfortunately not in West Bay although I know they were talking about putting one back in the West Bay Mall (Captain Vans, Hungrey Monkey, etc.) Credit cards are accepted in some places in West Bay, but most often not in West End, so always have enough cash on you to cover your bill.

I wander the world
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cash while staying in West Bay

as a bit of added info... while USD is accepted everywhere the exchange rate gets a bit cloudy cause there are no coins on the island. They round everything up.

As with all places about the world your prices will be better in the local currency but at the same time ya have to pay an exchange rate.

I take small USD notes down and receive change in Lemp... then go from there..for me it all evens out enough.

Is the ATM no longer at the Mayan Princess?

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,140 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cash while staying in West Bay

I use my Capital One credit card as much as possible, since they do not charge the usual international exchange fee. I'm seeing some cc offers now that say they skip the fee as well. For cash there are plenty of ATM's around the island, maybe 3 at the airport departure side. I forgot to count them in the arrivals side, but there are probably as many. Of course these will charge a fee on both ends of the exchange. While the exchange rate theoretically floats, it is essentially pegged to the $US and is not discounted in stores. I let the merchant take care of it since I can't divide by 18.9 in my head. The merchants have their trusty little calculators. But for some large exchanges, like diving and even your hotel, paying with $US can bypass exchange fees and even taxes. So typically I bring a wad of hundreds and on arrival split the wad between the hotel and the dive shop so I don;t have to try to hide it.

If you're obsessed with getting a bargain, it's cheaper to use lempiras on the water taxi than using dollars, 50 lempiras instead of $3.

6. Re: Cash while staying in West Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:33 am, January 02, 2013