We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Continental Airlines are bad

Which West Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Westlake Village...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Continental Airlines are bad

I just spent 9 days on Roatan first visit and really enjoyed the reef and seeing the natural beauty of the island.

We were due to leave on Saturday April 2nd. Got to the airport plenty of time, boarded the plane, sat for about 15 minutes then the pilot said oh we have a problem all off, so we all got off back to the one room in the terminal as the security wouldn’t let you though to the other area’s of the airport, then after about an hour or so we all boarded again, once everyone on board the pilot made up some new excuse, like they didn’t have a started for the plane so all off again and said it wasn’t going out today, so back to there terminal where another announcement came and said they were going to try and fix it again, so after 2 more hours they told us sorry plane can’t be fixed please pick up your bags and line up to be taken to hotels etc., so as one can imagine the lines and mess this caused, finally around 7pm we got to the resort they were putting us at.

A big truck with hundreds of bags arrived, later with 2 guys to unload it, so I decided to help out if nothing more to get to my darn bags! anyway there rumor was to be at the airport the next day for 11 for a 1pm flight. Well I didn’t want to go through the cattle call again so I got a taxi at my own expense to the airport got there for 9am. Waited while the staff ate their breakfast and came out at 10 am, got checked in and was told then the flight wasn’t scheduled until 3pm as they were flying over a mechanic and parts to fix the plane. So after a nice long 6 hour wait we then were told no the plane wouldn’t be fixed by 3 another 2 hours, but within the hour the announcement came over that they had fixed the plane but now they had to send for the flight crew who were still enjoying their day at the resort.. So another hour went by until the crew were all back and we were ready to go by 5.30pm. We then get going arrive in Houston and I had exactly 35 minutes to make my connection, but guess what the plane lands comes up to the gate and the pilot states oh sorry there is still a plane at our gate it will be another few minutes, talk about getting no luck. Finally we get off and make a very fast dash through customs, immigration and get our checked bags to the TSA guys who don’t care we are racing against the clock, we then run and I mean run flat out across the airport from terminal E to C and within seconds make our connecting flight. Needless to say we get to LAX no bags they come a day and half later by truck.. What an experience this was our very first time using Continental and like most airlines they cannot communicate or have policies in place to get things sorted out which is sad as we spoke to some people at the resort they put us up at and it happens quite often at least 2 to 4 times a month. Unlike another poster on here who complained about Continental we didn’t get offered any compensation even though we both missed a days work, had to pay extra for our car at the airport and just basically wasted almost 3 days of our time. Maybe Continental should put some maintenance staff in Roatan as I spoke with the pilot and he said it was their biggest issue flying down there as they tend to use some of the older planes and have no infrastructure on Roatan to even fix a flat tire!

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Continental Airlines are bad

West lake,

I went through the same thing with you. It was awful. By the tip me they got to us at Infinity Bay there were no rooms left. We had tom go find our own at our own expense, dinner our expense. We could have easily gone back to Infinity to catch the bus back to the airport but, like you, was trying to avoid all the lines and had a taxi bring us back. We also got to the airport a little after 9:00 a.m. and another ridiculously long day of waiting. Better communication would have made things a little better. We live in Houston which is Continental's hub and have flown with them for over 13 years and have never had a problem. I am so glad you made your connecting flight. I know there were so many that didn't. I was lucky in that aspect and just had ton drive home. I will be writing to Continental on this one. Hopefully, will be reimbursed for my hotel room, dinner, and taxi back to the airport. Heck, I think we all are owed something for mental anguish. Other than the awful couple of days we spent at the airport, how did you like Roatan?

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Continental Airlines are bad

We also had a problem with Continental out of Burlington VT ...a maintenance issue. It delayed us so that instead of going BTV - Newark - Roatan on Saturday we went BTV - Newark - Houston and spent the night, then Houston to Roatan on Sunday. Not a fan of Continental, plus all of these maintenance issues are definitely concerning.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
4,969 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Continental Airlines are bad

As mentioned in another post our friends flew down from Canada on Continental and had problems with CO not having a flight crew ready in Toronto so they missed their connection in Houston, spent the night and got to RTB the next day. No compenmsation and barley an appology. . We flew back on Delta and had a problem in ATL as a result of them changing the plane to Toronto. They had downgraded and had to get 18 passengers to give up their seats. Then they had to re-book the entire plane and the tried to do this with one gate agent, finally a second came to help. We were 2 hours late at the gate then once on the plane we sat there 2 hours because of weather. We arrived in Toronto at 3 AM. If we had left ontime or shortly after we would have been out of ATL before the storm. At least Delta emailed us a questionaire to fill out regarding the delay in ATL and at the bottom I saw that I could send my concerns directly to customer service, which I did. I got a response the next day and a voucher for the both of us the following delay. They screwed up but at least admitted it and tried to compensate. With the cracks now being found in 737's and if what the pilot told Suzy about using older planes for that run is correct and with all the problems CO is having after the merger with United (maintenance and scheduling) I doubt we will use them next year... Would you?

Monroe, Connecticut
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Continental Airlines are bad

Yikes! I am flying Continental to RTB this Saturday. Doubling up on Zanax so I sleep throught the ordeal.

Well - at least I know if there are issues, to call another hotel from the airport and hold a room, just in case....

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Continental Airlines are bad

Kim,

I talked to a couple in the airport that fly between RTB and Houston every three weeks. The sweet lady has cancer and goes to Houston for treatments. She has lived in Roatan for four years and says that she has never run into that type of problem before. Hopefully all will go well for you.

Level Contributor
173 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Continental Airlines are bad

My sister and I were also on that flight. Thankfully we made it to our connection to Van even though the gate was closed we waved to the pilot and eventually an agent came and they allowd us to board, but three days later I'm stilling waiting for my bag that went to Nanimo, its now in Fort St John but AirCanada won't deliver it to me an hour and a half away without authorization from Continental, so the phone tag and emailing continues. We returned to our friends home on Roatan, at his expense but doubt we will get any compensation. I'm sure going to try though. Roatan was fantastic and I will make a full report once I go through the mail, do laundry etc etc. Yuk, back to real life!

Paris Ontario
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Continental Airlines are bad

I have flown with Continental many times from Toronto to Roatan. I have never had a problem connecting or any flight delays.

Sterling, Virginia
Level Contributor
280 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Continental Airlines are bad

There is an old saying. Better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than the other way around.

I had a similar problem when I was in Roatan. We had to spend the night at IAH. The end was that I missed a whole day of work. Big deal.

When life gives you lemons....

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
107 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Continental Airlines are bad

The original post sounds to me like some tall (made up) storytelling. I was on Continental Flight CO1895 flying from Roatan the Houston this past Saturday (4/2). The flight took off about 15 minutes later than scheduled (12:55pm) as the delay was caused by a preceding Delta and TACA flight that needed to be cleared before we could board the plane. The flight was smooth and there were no problems, arriving in Houston without incident.

It looks like Speedy 1159 is either confused about the date or may simply have a vivid imagination.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
397 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Continental Airlines are bad

Howl,

I believe there are 2 flights on Saturdays from Roatan to Houston.

We have typically had good service between Roatan and Houston but ran into trouble with them in Feb/2010. We had shown up at the airport and there was a huge line up. By the time we reached the check-in, we were told that we were late and the plane was already loaded up and locked so there was no way we were getting on. This was 1 hour before the plane was scheduled to take off so we knew this was a load of crap. There were 8 of us standing in line in the same situation. After about 20 minutes, 4 of the people were allowed on and 4 of us were not. Bottom line is the plane was oversold and someone had to stay behind (they did not admit this but it was the case as we knew people on the flight that said there was not a spare seat on the plane). It was great to have 1 extra night in Roatan but it ended up with us getting home 2 days late and having to miss work. The oversold part is something Continental did not want to admit and it resulted in us being on the hook for the extra expenses. The only thing they did for us was get us a discounted room rate in Houston on our second delayed night. 2 extra nights in a hotel + Meals + loss of work amounted to a fair bit of money so some compensation would have been nice. a few phone calls and various emails did not get me anywhere. Good luck to those who are looking for compensation and if you do get something from them, let me know how you did it.