We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for some help for planning my family trip.

St. Albert, Canada
6 posts
Save Topic
Looking for some help for planning my family trip.

I have been given the opportunity to travel anywhere in the world and I chose Honduras. I felt like it's undeveloped, not too touristy, but there is still plenty to do. So first of all we'll be flying to La Ceiba and spending 8 days at Omega Tours Jungle Lodge and doing all sorts of activities there. We'll be doing white water rafting, hiking, cliff jumping, horse back riding, kayaking, and mountain biking. Now for the second part of the trip we'll be taking a ferry over to Roatan for all the beach activities. Because we are not certified in diving we will not be doing any Scuba Diving but I want to focus mainly on snorkeling, fishing, jet skis, and just relaxing on the beach. I have looked at many hotels on the island of Roatan but can't decide which is best. West Beach looks best and I was just posting this forum to get some ideas about hotels on the beach and where is the beast place to go to snorkel. We wan't to find a good snorkel tour that can take us on a boat and go to different places snorkeling. Is there something like that on West Beach? And also because I'm only 15 I want to find a jet ski rental place that you don't have to be over 18 to drive them. I looked at Eddy and Danny's Fishing Charter and that seems to be the best for fishing but if you know of the best snorkeling, fishing, or beach side hotel please let me know. Thanks!

London
Level Contributor
120 posts
323 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for some help for planning my family trip.

For what you want i would definitely recommend west bay. It is a gorgeous beach and has loads of activities for it. Its not all that long so anywhere a long it is fine, although IMO the beach is best around infinity bay area and closest to the reef.

Also i think with some of the diving places you can do an uncertified dive to 40ft to see if you like it.

Have fun!!

London
Level Contributor
120 posts
323 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for some help for planning my family trip.

oh and yeah there is a activity that takes you to a tiny island i think called cayos cochinos or something similar on the boat from west bay that is meant to be amazing. You can snokel etc etc on the trip

watertown, Minnesota
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for some help for planning my family trip.

My husband and I just returned last week. The snorkeling at the far end of West Bay is amazing! Go when you want and it's free! Gumbalimba is a short walk east along the beach, $30/person and was beautiful. Loved walking to West End from West Bay, 45 minutes along the beach, lotts of sea life on the way, then shop and eat West End and water taxi back. We stayed at Fosters, but a few doors down is a place called Cabana Lana. They might have a websight. Beachers resturant is FANTASTIC with great prices and through them you can find Captain Brooks. He is an expert fisherman with great prices, then have Beachers cook your catch. I truely fell in love with West Bay and the people there. It is safe, easy to navigate, and BEAUTIFUL! If you have any questions, just email me. HAVE FUN!

watertown, Minnesota
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for some help for planning my family trip.

I forgot to add, if you want a sea kyack and snorkel trip, talk to Emille at Beachers. He just bought 25 new kyacks and has a great package that includes lunch at the Argentinian. We paid $35 each to go to the Blue Channel and I think his price for everything including lunch is only $60.

St. Albert, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for some help for planning my family trip.

Ok that's exactly what I'm looking for but do you know of any hotels on Infinity Bay or just beside it that are along the water or beach?

Edited: 4:53 pm, April 04, 2011
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
356 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for some help for planning my family trip.

west bay is amazing for snorkeling and you don't have to take a tour. my boyfriend snorkeled for hours each day by infinity bay and he loved it. he went on a couple of snorkeling excursions where they take you out on a boat but he found the snorkeling by the hotel in west bay the best. in terms of hotels if you want something more condo style i hear good things about infinity bay. if you want all inclusive stay at henry morgan or if you want something smaller stay at las sirenas.

I wander the world
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for some help for planning my family trip.

Have a look at this map

http://www.roatanwestbay.com/

zoom out..you can see the sand of West Bay Beach, the reef and all the accommodation along the beach.

Infinity Bay is one resort among many on West Bay Beach.

I wander the world
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for some help for planning my family trip.

OOps I meant zoom in..click the + to the left. :)

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,897 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for some help for planning my family trip.

Great info so far. If you want to do something completely different ck out Sunyata website. Sailboat trip around Cayos Cochinos allows you to visit a native fishing village/island and snorkel any time you like, fish, visit a remote dive resort with night hikes etc. Another idea is to stay at West Bay Beach the whole time (lots of lodging options from condos to rooms) and snorkel from the beach, take excursions to snorkel blue channel and spooky channed. Visit Camp Bay Adventure Lodge for a day on a really uncrowded beach and have lunch at Sirena's/Asylum out over the water! Sounds like a great trip!

Victoria Texas
Level Contributor
392 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for some help for planning my family trip.

I couldn't tell from your post if you don't want to dive because you're not certified or that you felt that your age was a problem with getting certified. PADI has a number of age restricted diving levels but, at 15, you're eligible for full certification. If you're interested in getting certified, you can do the class room part on-line or through a local shop in your area and then the open water dives in Roatan.

I'm a die hard diver and would encourage anyone to give it a try. Escpecially if you're going to Roatan....which I'd consider to be among the best places around to perfect your skills and find out if you like to dive. There's good info on the www.padi.com website or you can drop me a message

joe