We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recent 8 day stay - Loved Roatan, Continental -Not so much

Pataskala, OH
Level Contributor
127 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Recent 8 day stay - Loved Roatan, Continental -Not so much

A summary of our 8 day stay at Infinity Bay from 3-4 to 3-13.... first trip to Roatan.

IB -- Loved the resort. While we usually stay directly on the beach in funkier accommodations, it was nice having direct TV for my husband to watch basketball and appreciated all the niceties, like purified water and ice from the fridge, great water pressure in the shower, washer and dryer, etc. We stayed in 601 which was on the first floor with no real view but still very nice. Rented through VRBO for $120.00 a night so it was a great deal for us. There was some construction noise from the restaurant /spa addition but didn't really impact us. I didn't hang around the room during the day. Could be an issue if your building is located in the back of the resort. Beach was lovely -- had shade most of the day which I need. It did get busy during the cruise days (Tuesday to Friday) but they cleared out around 2:30 and they didn't bother us.

Snorkeling was fantastic in front of IB -- saw a turtle (could have been the same one) every time I went out and saw rays in the sea grass a couple times. Also found the starfish bed and the highlight of my snorkeling were the huge parrot fish -- at least 2 1/2 feet long. I was so excited when I saw them but everyone I told acted like it was no big deal. I was pleasantly surprised how healthy the coral looked as that hasn't been my experience at other spots in the Caribbean & Mexico that we have visited lately.

Favorite restaurants -- We ate at IB a few times and the food was surprisingly good. I had the coconut fried shrimp twice--- really good. Everyone told me the hamburgers were good and they were right. Wasn't thrilled with the breakfast but only tried it once. We ate at Fosters on West Bay a couple time and enjoyed the specials -- bar-b-que chicken (Mon) and lobster tails on Thursday. They had the best beans and rice and wonderful potato salad. Also the best banana pina colada's I have ever had. We had a good meal at Bite on the Beach (wahoo) but missed the eels. My favorite meal at West Bay was at the Beach Club. They are only open for dinner on Saturday -- the sea bass was delicious and my husband ordered a filet that was huge and cooked perfectly. Great martinis, too. Had a snapper sandwich for lunch that I really liked.

Favorite restaurants in West End were Besos and Tongs. Best Pad

Thai.

Bugs --- I bought this stuff online called Bugsspray that someone had recommended and it worked great for me. I am a bug magnet and I only got one bite the entire week and I was on the beach every night at sunset. I also use self tanner after my shower in the afternoon and I swear they hate that stuff!

Shopping -- not the shopping mecca of the world, but I managed to spend some money and improve the local economy. Great hand made jewelry from Karma on WBB. Her stand is open in the mornings past Henry Morgan and in front of the Emerald resort place. Cool stuff -- not cheap but she uses real silver and has some great designs. I also bought coffee to take home at the Casa de Paradise just behind her stand. $6.00 a bag and I also saw some at the airport. Also, for all the people that answered my earlier post about my eternal search for Budweiser, they don't have it!! Did find a few bottles at the Aqua bar, but heard that there is an embargo on Bud due to other brands ....who knows. But my husband discovered the joys of Salve Vida and all was well.

Cats & Dogs -- for all my bleeding heart peeps on TA. I fed all the cats at IB. I am like the Mother Theresa of animals when I travel to CA and the Caribbean. There is someone at most of the resorts along WB that feed the cats so they are very skinny but at least they are getting some help. Most of the dogs on that beach are well cared for....but saw some sad cases in the West End and when we drove around the island. I did meet Penny at Penelopes gift shop in the WB mall who heads up Roatan Renegede Rescue. They are trying very hard to educate the local population about the need to spay and neuter but she explained that they are meeting resistance from Honduran men who do not believe in neutering males...she said they prefer to drown the female cats. Anyway, they are trying to obtain non-profit status but had their last attempt stopped by an attorney that stole their money. I donated some money for Frontline which she buys in bulk on Ebay...they could use your help. I guess the ticks are the big problem because they live all year in the ironshore.

People --- everyone we met, locals and tourists alike, were very friendly and helpful. We didn't experience any problems with safety but didn't really get too far off the beaten track. Did run into the Nomadic Wanderer in the ocean which was a trip...HI!!

Continental Airlines ---- GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! Will never fly Continental again, unless I get a free voucher for all our troubles. Our plane was "broke" on Sunday and we were kept at the airport for several hours on Sunday until we were sent to hotels for the night. While it might sound fun to have an extra day or two in Roatan, it isn't if you need to get back to work and are all ready to go. They sent over 100 people to IB so we were in line for hours getting on buses and rechecking back into a room. We kept hearing rumors that they would send another plane for us, but that never happened. They ended up flying in a mechanic the following day who didn't arrive until the afternoon. We spend another entire day at the airport and finally got out before sunset. We of course missed our connections in Houston and had to spend another night there as we didn't get in until 11:00. I travel quite a bit and understand that these things happen but am quite certain that Continental airlines had an extra 737 in Houston that they could have sent for us. I had to take 2 extra vacation days from work which irritated me the most. So far they have only offered a $150.00 voucher which I refused since they were giving $400.00 vouchers at the airport for another flight that was overbooked. What's up with that?? Even the flight crew told us that they should have sent another plane. I also heard that Continental was pressuring the pilot to fly anyway, but he refused due to the broken control box which affected the cabin temperature. The only good news was that I actually lost weight on this vacation because I didn't get much to eat those last couple days.

Anyway, great trip except for the ending....would defintely go back. If you have any questions, let me know!

Level Contributor
223 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Recent 8 day stay - Loved Roatan, Continental -Not so much

Thanks Lori! Great Report!!!

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
5,198 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recent 8 day stay - Loved Roatan, Continental -Not so much

Great report Lori. We are in West End and friends of ours came down last week. They too will never fly with Continental/United again. They were told by email (but didn't have a laptop with them) a day before departure that they would not make their connection in Houston because CO didn't have a fresh crew for their flight out of Toronto. So they left late and had to overnight in Houston (CO paid for that). This missed connection was not caused by weather or even a mechanical problems but by poor planning. CO knew they had a flight and that passengers on that flight had connections. Surely a crew could have been flown in. A voucher for their inconvenience and loss of one vacation day was not offered. Continental/United better shape up or at least be accommodating or they will remain in financial trouble due to lack of passengers.

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recent 8 day stay - Loved Roatan, Continental -Not so much

So glad to hear you enjoyed Roatan. I leave next Saturday. As for Continental, they are based out of Houston, which is where I am from. Have flown nothing but Continental for probably the past 12 years and have always had great service. Of course now, they are United. Hopefully, just some growing pains. Sorry for what happened to you guys, just hoping it's not a sign of how things are going to be now that they are united has taken over.

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recent 8 day stay - Loved Roatan, Continental -Not so much

So glad to hear you enjoyed Roatan. I leave next Saturday. As for Continental, they are based out of Houston, which is where I am from. Have flown nothing but Continental for probably the past 12 years and have always had great service. Of course now, they are United. Hopefully, just some growing pains. Sorry for what happened to you guys, just hoping it's not a sign of how things are going to be now that they are united has taken over.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,815 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recent 8 day stay - Loved Roatan, Continental -Not so much

Thanks for sharing!

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,155 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recent 8 day stay - Loved Roatan, Continental -Not so much

HI!!! and HI to your basketball watching Husband!

I am pleased as punch ya had a good time.

Sure enough, those fishes are HUGE!

Sadly, after seven wonderful sun, sand and sea fill weeks I am back in Colorado workin my tail off. The good news is I may go back to the island in Oct.

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,631 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recent 8 day stay - Loved Roatan, Continental -Not so much

Thanks for the wonderful review!

Glad to hear the Buggspray works down there. We have used it for years and love it. Hopefully I don't forget to pack it...LOL

Huron, Ohio
Level Contributor
550 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recent 8 day stay - Loved Roatan, Continental -Not so much

Great review! We are flying on "continental" and staying at IB in May

Thinking maybe we should just ask for one more day off on our return flight in case we run into any problems.

I am still really looking forward to our trip

thanks again!

Seattle
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Recent 8 day stay - Loved Roatan, Continental -Not so much

Tell us more about Bugsspray- I can't locate it online without more information!

Thanks very much. Smooey

Ottawa, Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Recent 8 day stay - Loved Roatan, Continental -Not so much

http://www.buggspray.com/