We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ipad

Which West Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Concord, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
ipad

anyone have luck using an ipad in roatan?

Dieppe, Canada
Level Contributor
181 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ipad

I suppose as long as you have access to wireless internet there should be no problem. We used our laptop last time we were there in 2008. Or you could access it via your 3G account on your phone. We will be bringing our ipad on our next trip in the 2nd part of the year.

Concord, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ipad

thanks for your help.

Level Contributor
223 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: ipad

This may sound dumb but do you pay roaming charges if you're using wifi on your iPhone?

roatan
Level Contributor
287 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ipad

We have had many guests recently who use their ipads with no problem other than the sketchy internet service on the island. Do beware of roaming charges with iphones.

Enjoy our low-tech island with or without hi tech toys :)

Bonnie

St. Louis,MO
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ipad

We used our I pad at The Blue Bahia and used the wifi service available. At times the signal was weak and very slow, usually remedied by sitting outside. We did not get the I pad with the 3 G network, so I cannot give any info on roaming charges etc. It was wonderful watching downloaded movies, tv shows, playing games etc. while flying and sitting around airports. A lot of the airlines offer wifi(I don't know the charges)during flight. Now I cannot imagine traveling without my gadget!

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
4,948 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ipad

I'm way far from being an expert on wirelessness (just ask my son) but there are no roaming charges applying to wifi. That's only if you are on your carrier's network. If the phone has the wifi icon then you're on wifi. Usually when you are away from wifi., your phone will indicate 3G or 4G or whatever or more likely "no signal" . Of course you have to either find an unlocked wifi or be given the code to access it. And even then the speed will probably be a lot slower than what you are used to. I use my IPhone for wifi in Roatan and the IPad should work just the same. What I have not tried in Roatan yet is walking down the road looking for wifi signal to see if someone has left theirs unlocked.

Edited: 12:43 pm, March 15, 2011
Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
4,785 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ipad

Depending on how long and often you are down... what I did was buy a Tigo 3G modem with the sim card and by access for $25/month. Then the next time I am down I buy a new sim card ($5.00) buy access and I'm good for another month. There are a few places in West End, Plaza Mar, Coxen Hole you can do that and one (that I know of) in West Bay.

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
76 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ipad

I was there for 21 days from late Jan.- Feb. Had not trouble using ipod,ipad or laptop. However there is nothing wrong with totally disconnecting once and awhile, after all this is Roatan we are talking about. Have fun.

Quincy...
Level Contributor
91 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ipad

I am posting this from my iPad at barefoot cay as we speak. Just arrived today but no problems so far.

Level Contributor
223 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: ipad

Is there free wifi or did you buy it?