We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to & from SAP - Roatan

Which West Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cooperstown, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to & from SAP - Roatan

For those who have traveled to Roatan via SAP - can you tell me how long it takes to get through customs - I want to fly over and between landing and taking off again is only about 2 hours. Is this enough time ? If not, has anyone taken the Ferry to Roatan ? and how long is it from SAP to the port. Thanks for all of your help.

Roatan
Level Contributor
621 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to & from SAP - Roatan

You will have plenty of time...there are not lineups and it is a small airport especially for those heading to RTB from SPS. The ferry goes from La Ceiba to Roatan not SPS.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,148 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to & from SAP - Roatan

You should be fine if you just have carry-ons but if you check luggage it might be too tight in our experience; sitting near the front of the plane then buys you a few minutes, too. With carry-ons you basically get waved through customs and with checked luggage - unless yours happens to be the very 1st of the plane - you'll have to wait and the line can be incredibly long and slow moving. It seems to vary how many people they have checking or how zealously they check.

www.onebag.com

Another potential problem is that we've had reservations "disappear" or flights overbooked 3 or 4 times with internal flights in Honduras, different airlines. If you're among the 1st to arrive you're unlikely to be the seat loser on an overbooked flight; if you're not there until later it might be you. We even had a flight leave half an hour early one time from SAP! I recommend getting to the counter an hour and a half or 2 hours ahead, even though it's a domestic flight. Or at least having a good backup plan!

Figure 4 hours to the ferry dock in La Ceiba, less if you hire a private driver. By bus you'd have to shuttle or taxi to the bus station, ride is about 3 hours, taxi to the dock on the other end. I like Hedman Alas buses - very comfortable, safe, expedient; chicken buses would take longer as they stop for riders along the way.

www.hedmanalas.com

Let me know if you'd like the name of a good driver.

3. Re: Getting to & from SAP - Roatan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 am, March 31, 2011
4. Re: Getting to & from SAP - Roatan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 am, October 20, 2012