We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

reputable dive shop or expat diver

Which West Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hensall, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
reputable dive shop or expat diver

Hi all:

Although I am a certified diver I have not dove for over 30 years and never in the caribbean. I have sinus issues and equalizing issues but would so love to try it again. I would need someone or someones who have tons of patience who would be willing to help me acheive this goal. My husband and I are coming down on February 21, 2011, he is not a diver and is not interested in trying it. Thanx for any help you can offer.

roatan
Level Contributor
287 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: reputable dive shop or expat diver

There are lots of very reputable dive shops on the island. Perhaps finding one that is close to where you are staying would make the most sense. It's the job of the instructor to help you feel at ease and every guest who has stayed with us and has participated in a learn to dive program has been very happy with the dive shop they are connected with.

Enjoy!

Bonnie

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,837 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: reputable dive shop or expat diver

You can search on the Scuba Board - lots of experienced opinions there:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bay-islands/

Good luck!!

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
4,939 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: reputable dive shop or expat diver

If you have not dived in 30 years, they are pretty much going to treat you as a newbie and you will have to prove your proficiency all over again, for your safety. It will be helpful to you if you skip the first dive of the day, which is usually deep, and just dive the subsequent shallow dives. Shallow or deep will both require that you be able to clear your ears, as you know. Any dive master should give you the attention you require, but at a certain point, if you are unable to clear your ears, you may have to give it up. I'd also suggest that you review training manuals, since the science is different now, particularly in regards to ascent rate. Everyone uses computers now, but if you are with a group you will not need one. The only shops I know are the larger ones, and it sounds like you may want to go in a small group.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
285 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: reputable dive shop or expat diver

To build on the previous response, you may want to consider taking a refresher course with whoever you decide to dive with. Some shops strongly recommend it when someone has been away from diving for a couple of years. It goes over the basics and some of the skills again to build a comfort level in the water. Then you can hop on the next dive.

5. Re: reputable dive shop or expat diver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:25 am, February 03, 2011
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: reputable dive shop or expat diver

We felt extremely confident with TGI Diving at Henry Morgan. Extremely safety concious.....

7. Re: reputable dive shop or expat diver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:22 am, February 04, 2012