We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heading to Roatan in Jan 2011

Runnells, Iowa
3 posts
Save Topic
Heading to Roatan in Jan 2011

Anything that is a must for seeing in Roatan? We are staying in a house in Brick Bay and have access to a 4 wheel drive truck for our 12 days.

We have stayed in the Yucatan the last 2 yrs and are trying something new this year.

Anyone ever taken school supplies for the schools or medical supplies? Are they receptive?

Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Heading to Roatan in Jan 2011

wehomeschool

While it certainly will help some in the local economy to wait and purchase things once there the truth is, Those working in such places have contacts and can do much better pricewise than a gringo on vacation, and with volume purchases if such things are locally available. There are however things that can be brought in and still be very beneficial. The notebooks i buy in the US cost me $.10 each , if you buy them on Roatan they are about a dollar, it is like this with pretty much all school supplies. As for OTC Drugs, If you shop at Sams, Costco, Etc.. then you can do quite well, Just do not buy name brand stuff or it is more costly than what is locally available.

Anything one does to help is generally appreciated, Me being a cheap SOB that tries to do a lot, I have found the ins and outs of a lot of donating.

Usa
Level Contributor
24 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Heading to Roatan in Jan 2011

Yes, they are very receptive and will be pleased. I took pencils, erasers, small pads of paper, glue sticks, student scissors and children's paper back activitiy books. I looked for sales, used coupons, and searched in dollar stores at home. The items didn't take up much space in a duffle.

Edited: 3:42 pm, January 08, 2011
23. Re: Heading to Roatan in Jan 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, July 08, 2011