We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long Term Stay Info

Which West Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Grimsby, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Long Term Stay Info

My husband and I have rented a cottage in West End for 2 months this winter. This is our first long term vacation and as we have never been to Roatan we would really appreciate some information.

What is the cost of having laundry done? Or is there a laundry mat?

What English language cable/satellite TV channels are available?

Is chair rental available on the beaches?

Our rental does not include the cost of electrcity. Any idea on what it would cost or the cost per kilowatt?

Is Woody's the best place to grocery shop or should we go to Coxen Hole?

Any other advice or information that would help us out would be great.

Thanks

Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Long Term Stay Info

Laundry is 3-4 US Dolllars a load at Ed's in Sandy Bay, As far as Cable/Satalite, some have pirate systems to the Us some have local cable , if the place your staying does not already have some type of cable it is probably not cost effective for a couple months. I have no Idea of chair rental, are you staying on the beach? Electricity is HIGH, I will look for a recent bill for KWH plus fuel surcharge costs but if your planning on using A/C and even worse, Electric cooking appliances you can probably safetly figure 3-4 hundred US. I know many with central a/c and electric appliances that see 800-1000 electric bills.

Woody's is fine for snacks but if staying for that amount of time I would go at least to Plaza Mar in Coxen Hole but more likely French Harbour to Eldons or the Mega mart. Get veggies and fruits off the trucks. There are often guys selling fish out of coolers but you may want to hit up the Flying Fish in Coxen hole as well. . There is also a market in Coxen Hole for meat but if you get it, plan on long cooking stew type dishes as it is often quite tough

Where are you staying? Don't the folks renting to you have all this type of information handy?

Edited: 4:11 pm, October 28, 2010
Grimsby, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long Term Stay Info

Thanks for the info on shopping and hydro. We do have an electric stove and central air so we will have to be very energy conscience. I know we have some kind of cable TV just not what stations we receive.

Are the grocery stores open on Sunday? Does anyone know if there is a fitness centre and some where to obtain english books in West End?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long Term Stay Info

I've only been to Roatan once, so grain of salt is appropriate...

One of our rentals had cable - it was mostly English-speaking channels. Roatan, with its off-shore history, is much more English-oriented than one would find in mainland Honduras.

Book store in West End? I'd plan on bringing my own reading material. This is a small island and selections will be limited.

BHG gave you good advice on Woody's vs. Plaza Mar, etc. Stocking up at one of the good stores just makes good sense. As to opening times... I know nothing about Plaza Mar but I'm pretty sure Woody's is closed on Saturdays - I think the owners are Seventh Day Adventists.

Which brings me to my major point. A lot of the fun of being on Roatan for two months will be finding all these things and learning how it works. Knowing electricity is high is a good thing... knowing you should bring books you like is a good thing... but don't worry too much about store times and such. Roatan is an easy place. If you can't find something today, you will find it tomorrow - or else you really don't need it!

I wander the world
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long Term Stay Info

Indeed If you are looking for a proper books store...I have never seen one.

With that said....several accommodation including Casa Calico in West End have book exchanges... I found may books to exchange at the internet cafe across from Foster's on the water in West End.

So, if you are not picky...books can be found. :)

I have friends in West End who were going to a fitness center type place in French Harbor. nay have a look there.

Edited: 1:51 pm, November 01, 2010
Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
581 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long Term Stay Info

You may want to look into buying a Kindle and loading it up with books before you leave. They have come way down in price than when they first came onto the market. I bought one a while ago and love it !

roatan
Level Contributor
287 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long Term Stay Info

Woody's opens at sunset on Saturdays, is open Sundays and all other days and has most things you run out of. Fruit and veggie trucks are in West End every day and fish trucks are here on a regular basis as well. Plaza Mar is just fine for groceries, especially your original stocking up. Eldon's in French Harbour has expensive snack foods but they carry the snacks most North Americans seem to want. There is laundry service in West End, several drop off spots and very reasonable. No book stores but many places have book exchanges, Barefoot Charlies is a book exchange and internet cafe, Casa Calico has books as does Cocolobo in West End and many others as well.

If you don't own a snorkel mask and fins you can purchase them here very reasonably. Booze is very inexpensive here so I wouldn't bother bringing any if you drink.

Have fun planning and I know you'll have even more fun when you're here!

Bonnie

Punta Gorda, Florida
Level Contributor
116 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long Term Stay Info

Flex Appeal is the gym in French Harbour (Jackson Plaza) and I'm sure Dale will work with you on pricing for the 2 months that you're here. There is a very good selection of treadmills, bikes, weights, stair-steppers, etc.

The gym is not air conditioned so bring appropriate workout clothes - you will work up a sweat but while you're doing it you'll be staring out at the Caribbean!

Grimsby, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Long Term Stay Info

Thanks everybody for all the great info.

9. Re: Long Term Stay Info

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 04, 2011