We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Help Choosing a Hotel in West Bay

Which West Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
60 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Need Help Choosing a Hotel in West Bay

My husband and I are planning a week trip in early Nov. We can't decide between Infinity Bay, Bananarama, and Las Rocas. This is what we would like:

Pool and bar

Beachfront with ability to snorkel or dive from the property

Clean room with patio or walk out to beach

A restaurant

A chance to meet other people at the resort

Good value

We plan on diving, but maybe only once a day for 5 of the days

I like Infinity Bay, but it seems rather big and is the most expensive option.

Bananarama is a good price, but I wonder what it is like when the cruise ships come in, esp since they advertise to attract people to the resort. I can;t seem to see what the rooms look like and how many rooms there are.

Las Rocas is the best value, and I like that it is small. But there are no pictures of the rooms, pool or beach. So I am concerned that it may not be good.

I am melting into information overload. Please help.

Seattle
Level Contributor
17 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Need Help Choosing a Hotel in West Bay

The three options you mentioned are all quite close by one another, but offer quite different experiences. I would say it all depends on what you are looking for. We spent a fabulous week at Los Rocas in August and would definitely choose it again. We ate at both Bananrama and IB, which are both very nice facilities.

Why we choose Los Rocas: it's close by everything on West Bay but not in the middle of the action (and it's away from the cruise boat visitors), it has a good dive shop with limited divers per boat, on site bar and restaurant, good value. We prefer quiet over party central.

As others have mentioned, it is quite simple. We had two ocean view rooms; both were extremely clean and included the basics -- mini fridge, A/C, small deck with hammock, comtable beds. As others have mentioned, the pool is small - about the size of a hot tub - and filled with salt water. The dive shop is excellent. We did 11 dives over the week; on all but one dive, we had a dive master dedicated to the four of us. Snorkling is very good right off of the beach.

The restaurant is OK. Breakfast (included) was fairly good; lunches were fine, but somewhat limited; dinner was low key. Happy hour is teriffic and Bartender Mike is fabulous. (Best Monkey LaLa's on the Island, in our opinion!) Other guests were friendly during our stay.

It's an easy walk to any of the nearby West Bay hotels for a meal, cash machine, or change of scenery. And and easy water taxi ride to the West End. It's not plush or high end, but absolutely delivered a fun memory filled week for our family.

Any where you stay you'll have a great time in West Bay. Enjoy!

Montezuma, Costa...
Level Contributor
538 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Need Help Choosing a Hotel in West Bay

My question would be to see why you need a pool when you have a calm turquoise Carribean sea a few feet from your door? If you want one, fair enough, but maybe ask yourself if is it really worth the extra cost?

You can snorkel from any location on WBB, you may have to walk 10 min from las rocas (3 min from Banarama) to get to the best area for it, but the walk is down the lovely beach

There are a few bars/restaurants within easy walking distance from any of the locations.

Guage your budget vs need for pool to help you decide. Infinity is defintely the most luxurious (Someone mentioned Mayan Princess too, which is I think similar to IB in terms of luxury/service & has a big pool).

Cruise shippers do arrive regularly, and yes they mostly visit WBB .

At Infinity - I think only residents are allowed at the pool - so that might be factor for you, same with Mayan Princess - you would have an escape if you want one.

Cruise Ship passengers rarely go down as far as Las Rocas - so their nice little bar/restaurant could also be a sanctuary

Hope this helps

At any rate

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
40,831 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Need Help Choosing a Hotel in West Bay

I will repeat myself as everyone missed/ignored this

Mayan Princess, imho, is the 2nd nicest resort next to Infinity Bay

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Need Help Choosing a Hotel in West Bay

You can't compare Infinity Bay with ANY other hotel in West Bay. Infinity Bay is a luxury condo....the others just simply aren't. I agree with the person that said the Mayan Princess was the hotel second to Infinity Bay. We stayed at the Mayan Princess last year but we booked a condo directly with an owner through vrbo for this February. For the height of the season the best deals through owners at Infinity are probably snatched up by now...but you can rent directly through Infinity Bay office which will cost you a lot more than through an owner. The price we got for the unit at Infinity Bay is actually quite a bit cheaper than what you would pay at Mayan Princess. Mayan Princess has a prettiest to it but is in disrepair, screen broken in our room, old furniture, they had a shortest of towels every day. Personally I'd rather opt for the nicest condo then you can get some groceries and go out for some meals. Guess you have to decide whether how important your surroundings are verses budget. I still say Infinity Bay is the best value if you rent through an owner.

Assiniboia, Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Need Help Choosing a Hotel in West Bay

From you posting your list of must haves , you would like Infintity hands down. If you would like a geat deal book direct with someone on the VBRO site. Stayed at Infinity last year, NO REGRETS spent lots of time at the other places also, the rest do not have a pool, on the cruise ship days you can leave the beach and relax in the solitude by the pool. Infinity bay beach chairs are reserved for guests only, they even take them and place them on the beach for you! On cruise ship days Bananarama is probably the most active spot, you can choose to mingle there or leave. You can walk all the way down the beach and go to Las Rocas and go there for happy hour and have a drink, and be happy that you are staying some where else. The rooms are very modest, the beach is mainly rock. Where is sandy , it is full of sea grass, the pool is the size of a large hot tub. I think it is filled with sea water each day and does not look very appealing.

16. Re: Need Help Choosing a Hotel in West Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:51 am, April 26, 2011