We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with 5 year old to West Bay

Which West Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Woodstown, NJ
Level Contributor
48 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling with 5 year old to West Bay

Hi all! We will be traveling to West Bay (staying at Infinity Bay) in late August.... After reading "everything" posted about the no-see-ums, I couldn't find an answer to my question. My daughter LOVES to bury herself in the sand. Do they (the no-see-ums)generally bite at all hours of the day, or usually between dusk and dawn?? (If you don't have a polite answer for me, please don't respond....I've seen some pretty harsh replies in this forum...)

We are really excited about our trip (been to Placencia, Belize and Ambergris Caye, Belize) and can't wait to see Roatan and the reef off the shore without having to wade through the turtle grass... since she hasn't yet figured out how to use a snorkel, we found a really cool float with a window in it so she can see the fish too!

Any helpful ideas about kid-friendly restaurants within walking distance of IB (no more than 10 minutes at a slow pace) would also be greatly appreciated! (Not sure if she'll get on the water taxi....) Thank you in advance for your advice! It will be greatly appreciated!

Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Traveling with 5 year old to West Bay

Lulu,

If covered in a rashguard the bugs cant get through anyway , why add bugspray?

Woodstown, NJ
Level Contributor
48 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Traveling with 5 year old to West Bay

Good question! Doctor mentioned that if it is a tight fitting rashguard, they (mosquitos) will bite right through... He recommended that we take all precautions for our 5 year old... (Honestly, I have no idea if they'll bite through the rashguard... but, I'd rather not take the chance....)

Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Traveling with 5 year old to West Bay

Thanks Lulu,

I never would figure they would bite through them, good info for those that do wear them. Most of all I think it is great that it seems you have been able to openly communicate with a doctor who is knwledgable about this type of thing. , Hope you have a happy and safe visit.

Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Traveling with 5 year old to West Bay

Just to make sure there is no confusion, dengue and malaria can be an issue in the Bay Islands yet taking certain precautiions can minimize risk, such as anti malarialls and repellants, there is still no guaraunty about safety. A previous post suggested bugs were an issue dusk till dawn which is not correct, most that complain of sandflies were at the beach during the day and most who get dengue were likely bitten durig the day. Again, it is not rampant and not a major issue if you take precautions but please do not leave yourself or kids open because someone on an anonymous internet forum said so, speak with a medical professional knowlegable in travel meds,

New Jersey
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Traveling with 5 year old to West Bay

When I recently traveled to Roatan back in May both my Mom and I chose to use antimalaria meds and deep woods off with deet. I know many go unprotected but I did not want to take that risk. If I did forget to use deet I would get bit but my Mom even without the deet she would not get bit at all. I am glad your taken the precautions especially with having a young child. I hope you enjoy your vacation as much as we did. Roatan is wonderful.

Roatan, Honduras
5 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: Traveling with 5 year old to West Bay

I have been travelling to Roatan for 14 years now and have just moved back full time with my husband and 3 kids ages, 11,9,5. We live by the beach and work by the beach and my kids are in the sand at wWest Bay almost every day. We wear our rash guards to help protect us from the sun, sunscreen and around 4ish start feeling that we need some bug spray. I have used all kinds from oils, to Watkins, Off, Cactus Juice, and on and on. I find that works one time may not work the next and to be perfectly honest whatever works best to keep my kids from getting bit is what I will use. Right now it is Off Spray. West Bay beach is an amazing beach for kids. My kids play in the sand building, digging, and driving trucks....they are in and out of the water, and my sweet 5 year old who had to take his "salamander" in swimming lessons 5 times and stil did not pass before we left is a jumping, diving down, little fish who is learning how to snorkel. West Bay is also great to learn to snorkel! West End is also a fav and we are there all the time playing in Half Moon Bay or past Miller Ave but there you need repellent all the time. Have a great time and maybe we will see you there! Btw, the food on Roatan is amazing and your child will eat well---Bananarama is our fav for cheaper meals, burgers, chicken finger etc.

Katy, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Traveling with 5 year old to West Bay

My daughter, husband and I visited Roatan, West Bay in June. We did not have any problems with sand flees. I don't know if it has to do with the time of year or if it rains. Your child will have a wonderful time. Roatan is absolutely beautiful and I am ready to go back. I also enjoyed our stay at Infinity Bay Resort. I hope your experience in Roatan is as wonderful as ours was. Take lots of pictures!

Woodstown, NJ
Level Contributor
48 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Traveling with 5 year old to West Bay

Hi njluv, roacanadian and cbj!

Thank you for your replies.... we are just about packed and will be leaving early AM on Saturday for Roatan! We can't wait to get there..... the excitement is building everyday and our 5 year old has been looking at Roatan pictures on the internet with a great big smile! I will definitely post a trip report!!

Thank you again to everyone who responded to this post for all of your help!!

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Traveling with 5 year old to West Bay

I think it boils down to everyone has to do what they are individually comfortable with in regards to protecting themselves/their children against disease carrying mosquitoes in Roatan because they are there and so are the sand fleas. I was there last February and we are returning again this upcoming February. All I can say is you do NOT want to get any sand flea bites. The bites itch, itch, itch, itch pushing you to the brink of madness! I thought I was going to scratch the skin right off my legs. The bites remained itchy for close to two weeks as well. That being said my friend watched the sun go down every night on the beach lying on a chaise, with no repellent, and got not one bite from a sand flea. The last two nights we I joined her as she said she hadn't been getting bitten. Initially I had deliberately left the beach before the sun started to go down as I read before I left about a fellow that said he wouldn't recommend watching the sun go down on the beach as he got bitten to death by the sand fleas. He was right.....those last two nights were a big mistake for me......I didn't realize I'd even been bitten until I got home. The sand flea bites tend to have a delayed itch reaction. I couldn't believe my friend didn't even get one bite but I was covered in them just from those last two nights. Guess they just like some people better. So on this next trip I am just sticking with my plan of getting off the beach before the sun starts going down and get a head start on the bathroom time for getting ready to go out at night (takes me a lot longer than most normal people what can I say!!!!). By the way everyone was talking before we went last year I thought there were going to be mosquitoes buzzing all around us at night....this wasn't the case....I think the resorts spray for them so that keeps the buzzing down....however we did wear repellent at night in case there were any bad guy dengue or malaria mosquitoes lurking around as it only takes one.

30. Re: Traveling with 5 year old to West Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 18, 2011