We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Roatan for 1st time

Turner valley
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Roatan for 1st time

Just wondering about getting around island once we get there? should we rent a car or is taxis the way to go. We are staying at keyhole bay and wondering about getting around from there.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Roatan for 1st time

Could you provide some info about where that is? It doesn't ring a bell, so it must be brand new. I suspect it's on the ironshore along the south coast west of Flowers Bay, but I'm not the expert.

Turner valley
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Roatan for 1st time

we are not really sure but we think it is on the opposite shore or south shore across from west bay

roatan
Level Contributor
287 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Roatan for 1st time

Keyhole Bay is the beautiful project off West Bay Rd. but runs to the south shore if I'm not mistaken. I would consider a car rental myself as it can get pricey for taxi's if you choose to go to West End for dinners or for entertainment in the evenings. If you're the stay at home sort then taxi's are plentiful though not as easy to find after dark.

Have fun whatever you choose..

Sterling, Virginia
Level Contributor
280 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Roatan for 1st time

Keyhole Bay is very near West Bay. You can pick it out on Google maps because it has the huge seahorse shaped pool.

I rented a car last time and are renting one when I go in March. I prefer having my "own" vehicle as I can explore, shop and dine at my own pace. Good reviews of several car rental places can be found by searching the forum.

If you share what you plan on doing, the forum humans can help guide you in one direction or the other.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Roatan for 1st time

Oh, THAT Keyhole. It looks like you might be close enough to West Bay that you could walk over and avail yourselves of the inexpensive water taxis that run between West Bay and West End. Between the two you have a huge number of choices for restaurants and bars and shops. But if you're out after the water taxis stop running, the land taxi fare would soon cost more than a rental car. And a car would let you explore.

A lot of people walk the beach between West Bay and West End during the day. It's generally less than an hour, maybe a little more from KH. Do not feel tempted to walk to West End on the road that separates KH from WB. It's longer than the beach walk and it climbs over that huge hill.

Turner valley
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to Roatan for 1st time

Thanks for the info

Roatan
Level Contributor
621 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to Roatan for 1st time

I live at Keyhole Bay. You can easily walk to the beach from here. It is right across West Bay Road. We are on the south side of the Island (on the ironshore). The pool being seahorse shaped is news to me. It definitely resembles something but a seahorse is not what most of us thinks it looks like! :-) You will probably want a vehicle for some touring around. Ask at the office at Keyhole Bay when you arrive. There is a vehicle available here that alot of guests seem to have access to. I'm not sure what the cost or arrangement is for that.

Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Going to Roatan for 1st time

Jimmi,' Is a phallic symbol what othes think? That is certainly what I thought. Of course I thought it was terrible irresponsible to ruin the natural keyhole by slamming a pool in it anyway. Too bad they did not leave the keyhole natural and build the pool elswhere

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,708 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Going to Roatan for 1st time

Looking at my map and my last visit , I'm thinking 10 -15 minutes uphill to the road and 10 minutes downhill

I would rent a car

10. Re: Going to Roatan for 1st time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, July 30, 2010