We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos a real problem?

Ontario
Level Contributor
227 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitos a real problem?

Well I called the travel clinic and they've got the Bay Islands on the list and recommend malaria pills. I really hate to take them, done this before in Punta Cana and I never seen one mosquito, anyone thats just been there, whats your feedback on this if any?

Thanks

Roatan
Level Contributor
621 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitos a real problem?

This is always a touchy one cause no one wants to say yes or no to taking medications and risk being seen as dispensing medical advise. We do not take antimalarials and in our 7 years of coming here have not been ill. We have however known people that live here full time that have contracted malaria and have become very ill...not life threatening but sick for a long time. We also know people that chose to take them...so there you go no help at all...sorry.

Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitos a real problem?

Some new posts some older posts, The reccomendations and mosquitoes have not changed

www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums…

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,481 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitos a real problem?

saw very few mosq. but lots of no see ums (some call these sand fleas)

I still took the maleria pills (once a week)

Ontario
Level Contributor
227 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitos a real problem?

Thanks all for the feedback, I will be taking the malaria pills, better safe than sorry, they say!!!

I've been trying to find this cactus juice buy spray for the sand fleas etc. here in Ont Canada with no luck anybody know where I can get it without ordering through the mail, it might not be here on time. I believe someone mentioned you can get it in Roatan, is there a little gift shop at the resort for all the misc needs?

Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitos a real problem?

You can buy cactus juice easilly on Roatan and it does work for some, if you know of a repellant that already works then I would just use that, you can pack in in checked luggage, but put it in ziplock in case of leaks. For me, deet works great for mosquitoes and sand flies.

ont
Level Contributor
424 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitos a real problem?

went to la romana this past feb and got chunks eaten out of my ankles still not sure what bite me so want to do the anti malaria thing for sure for trip to west bay but i was told you can not put suntan lotion on and deet at the same time as it will make a reaction on your skin any input on this can not find cactus juice here at kitchener heath store they said eat garlic aparently it makes your skin smell yahooo hahahahha

Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitos a real problem?

From the US CDC Website

"Q. Can I use an insect repellent and a product containing sunscreen at the same time? What are the recomendations for combination sunscreen/insect repellent products ?

A. Yes. People can, and should, use both a sunscreen and an insect repellent when they are outdoors. Follow the instructions on the package for proper application of each product. In general, the recommendation is to apply sunscreen first, followed by repellent.

It is recommended NOT to use a single product that combines insect repellent containing DEET and sunscreen, because the instructions for use of insect repellents and use of sunscreen are different. In most situations, insect repellent does not need to be reapplied as frequently as sunscreen. While no recommendations are available at this time regarding products that combine other active ingredients and sunscreen, it is important to always follow the label on whatever product you are using. "

Google is your friend

ont
Level Contributor
424 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitos a real problem?

yes google is a wonder !!!!

looked at toxic and neuro on the university research sites and they suggest to apply sunscreen first and wait half to one hour before applying deet(20%) not good to use combo products at all as the sunscreen speeds up the absorption time of the deet to make a toxic coctail in the system also states to be very carful to apply both to children some adverse reactions have been posted in florida it looks like the higher the deet strengh the more warry you should be but it sound s like the common 20% strengh is okay hope the bugs will stay away at that level also

although i have answered my own questions i hope it has helped other too

Ontario
Level Contributor
227 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquitos a real problem?

Thank you Zoey1Ont, I read the same thing, than as well you've got the hot sun beaming down and baking this in your skin even more. I know there is all kinds of alternatives, like taking Vit B and garlic supplements, might ward of quests as well (hee hee), tea tree oil mixed with lavender, there is something else but can't remember what it was, but I tend to go check them all out, these are a few mentioned at our local health food store.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,494 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquitos a real problem?

My ex-wife used the garlic-lavender-oil mixture... somehow she just slipped away...

Get answers to your questions about West Bay