We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

exchanging drachma

coventry
Level Contributor
40 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
exchanging drachma

Hi. Does anyone know if it is possible to exchange drachma in Dassia? We are off there in a week, and I've just come across a stash in the cupboard!

Thanks.

Komotini, Greece
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: exchanging drachma

I believe it can still be done (only paper, no coins) at the central branch of the National Bank of Greece, in Athens, but I don't think you can do it anywhere else.

coventry
Level Contributor
40 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: exchanging drachma

Thanks for that, much appreciated. We found a pile of pesetas as well, which can be exchanged by post, but I can't find that facility on the bank of Greece website.

Edited: 1:21 pm, May 31, 2010
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,835 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: exchanging drachma

Local currencies of any eurozone country ( banknotes only ) can be accepted till 2011 - 2012 in according central bank of each country. For Greece this is Bank of Greece, not National Bank. Drachmic banknotes are accepted till March 1st 2012.

Bank of Greece is located on Panepistimiou Ave. in downtown Athens.

Keep in mind that ( for any currency, whether it's a mark in Germany or a lirette in Rome or a drachma in Athens ) it always depends on the amount you have. It's not always worth of it if it's some drachmas. Keep in mind that 340,75 drachmas used to be exchanged for 1 euro.

That means that if you have let's say 1000 drachmas it's less than 3 euros.

Komotini, Greece
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: exchanging drachma

Whoops! Thanks for that correction - I ALWAYS confuse them. I have a €20 note torn in half and to replace it I went to the wrong one (only the Bank of Greece will do it) and of course I STILL can't keep them straight!!

coventry
Level Contributor
40 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: exchanging drachma

Thanks both - the information is really useful. Think I will see if there is a charity that can use them, and hopefully enjoy the usual Greek hospitality in Corfu! x

6. Re: exchanging drachma

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, November 29, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Dassia
Recent Conversations