We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Regarding accomodation in Yllas

Which Akaslompolo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
london
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Regarding accomodation in Yllas

We (group of 4 adults and 2 children) are planning to visit Yllas, Finland for 7 days during February, 2014. Our main purpose is to see Northern Lights. Additionally we would like to get involved in winter activities like Skiing, Husky riding etc. We are planning to stay in Yllas, as the Ski resort is more beginner friendly than Levi. We are looking for Log cabins in quiet location ,away from light pollution as much as possible.

Do you have any sugession of any good log cabins?

We have found few log cabins from https:/…index.php site, but we are not getting any review about these cabins or about the operators anywhere. So we are confused about their service or authenticity. Has anybody done any log cabin booking through them? If so, how was your experience.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Regarding accomodation in Yllas

I'd use one of the booking agents listed on Ylläs' website: yllas.fi/en/accommodation-booking-centres .

Finland
Level Contributor
894 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Regarding accomodation in Yllas

The site that you found is a Finnish company based in Joensuu. I would not hesitate to book with them. Note at Ylläs has two villages - Äkäslompolo and Ylläsjärvi that are nearly on the opposite sides of the fell. I prefer. Äkäslompolo myself. Well, there is an abundance of cabins!

To help viewing the Northern Lights last winter they turned off street lights at Ylläs.

southampton
Level Contributor
65 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Regarding accomodation in Yllas

Agree akaslompolo side of fell is place to stay. Try Destination Lapland for log cabins. They have a wide variety. You can see them on their web site and there is a map showing location. We were at Viiko cabins last year and saw the lights. For some reason the reviews for yllas log cabins seems to have gone missing last winter from the site but there are a few older posts on the forum if you do a search.

London, United...
Level Contributor
504 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Regarding accomodation in Yllas

We went as a family of four in February this year for pretty much the same reasons. We used Inhams travel and booked a log cabin. It is allocation on arrival foe the cabin but at the time I was researching it, I didn't see any bad reviews from anybody regarding accommodation.. It was like a ski holiday but without the skiing (and the expense) as such. And if you want to ski then hire the gear from Destination Lapland, where you go to pick up your thermal suits that come free with the package. We also hired cross country skis for 10 Euros per person for the week.

Our cabin was fairly small and was a good walk from the centre of the town but I loved it for being set back a bit off the road in the woods and a couple of minutes walk to the frozen lake. Loads of free sledges outside the cabin when we arrived. Really warm indoors with a big clothes drier. -26 outside when we got there and over a meter of snow. We did the reindeer sled trip which was interesting if you haven't experienced reindeer before (but a bit tame to be honest) and the husky trip which was awesome. Those dogs just love to run, peeing, pooing and eating snow as they go.

We were also lucky enough to see the lights on one night.

I found Inghams to be well organised and pretty reasonable cost.

Please feel free to personal message me if you have any specific questions.

Enjoy.

london
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Regarding accomodation in Yllas

Thank you all for your comments. We have booked Kiulunkolo Cabin through Destination Lapland. Can't wait for the trip anymore:)

We are a bit confused about how to see the northern lights - with 2 small kids in our group. How do people go about it? Do they wait for the lights around the Akaslompolo Lake or some place with clear skies every night? Or just keep an eye on the sky from the lodge and when the lights appear then go out to a clear space to view? How does it normally work?

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Regarding accomodation in Yllas

Just keep the sky on eye either from indoors or outdoors. Good luck for the Aurora "hunt". :)

Finland
Level Contributor
894 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Regarding accomodation in Yllas

I would stay in the warm cabin and keep checking the conditions. If I remember the area right you should be able to see the sky quite well without walking too far. There is a small hill and some areas with less trees.

If it looks cloudy (as it very usually does unfortunately) keep checking the cloudiness map www.foreca.com/Finland/AEkaeslompolo…

And also check if there is any magnetic activity aurora.fmi.fi/public_service/english/latest_…

Or if you can see the Northern sky from the window that is the easiest way of course. Good luck.

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Regarding accomodation in Yllas

Yep, no worries about light pollution in Äkäslompolo (or practically anywhere in Lapland). As long as you can see the stars you will see Auroras too. But to see the sky from inside of your cabin you have to dim the lights completely. Simple optics as light reflects from the glass. And Auroras might appear right above your head also.

My tip: Big thermos full of hot chocolate with little bit of mint liqueur. Much nicer to stay outside... :) And that Auroras Now! service also very good. Kicksled also a nice way keeping warm.

london
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Regarding accomodation in Yllas

Thank you all. Just keeping the fingers crossed:)

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Regarding accomodation in Yllas

We went last December. Stayed in the hotel in Yllas. It was lovely. Did'nt see the lights atall but that did'nt matter as there was so much to do and the whole atmosphere of the place was just magical. Loved Yllas, really quiet and peaceful and relaxing.