We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget accommodation in the Yllas Akaslompolo area

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Budget accommodation in the Yllas Akaslompolo area

Hi there,

If I am going to use one of these towns as a base to do various tours, which one would be better ? I will be travelling on buses etc.

Also is there budget accommodation / hostel in these parts ?

I will be there in late Jan/ early Feb

Zed

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,563 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget accommodation in the Yllas Akaslompolo area

Towns??? Both Äkäslompolo and Ylläsjärvi are tiny villages with cabins scattered around and a few shops/restaurants/hotels. Main activity is around skiing and other snow based thrills.

As a base for tours on public transportation they certainly are a challenge. Rental car would be my number one choice.

Budget accomodation? Not likely to find hostel type accomodation, but the high season is not yet in in early Feb.

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
73 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget accommodation in the Yllas Akaslompolo area

As polarbearfin has pointed out both of those locations are tiny villages with cabins scattered over large areas, so transport can become an issue.

If you want a base to do activities and be able to do so with cheap public transport and accommodation i think Rovaniemi would be your best choice, even tho it is more of a town and not as much into nature as the others it has all the tour options available.

3. Re: Budget accommodation in the Yllas Akaslompolo area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, October 20, 2012