We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from PCV

Montreal
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Just back from PCV

A week goes sooo fast.

Home already and my review was just posted. Any questions feel free to ask!

Carleton Place...
Level Contributor
841 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Just back from PCV

CJ I think there are a few of us getting Cuba'd out...time to explore new frontiers :-)

Dec will be our last trip for a while...as you know it is a bonus trip for us. We ended up bookiing an extra week this week, so now going for 2 weeks. Then in Jan we head to New Orleans for a week and then a Western Carrib Cruise for a week.

Have you been to Jibacoa? It's at the other end of Cuba..between Veraderro and Havana one hour each way.

There are only 2 resorts there a Breezes and another..if you go pay a bit extra and go to Breezes. I went by myself for a snorkeling trip..FANTASTIC snorkeling there and Bay of pigs is not far and a great day trip, and did a Havanan and Tropicana excursion as well. I stayed at the other spot, and it was lovely but no evening entertainment and the food was really not great..even for Cuban standards...

It is very quiet there , like Holguin not much around but perfect for snorkeling and close proximity to Havanna without staying in the hustle and bustle.

It is very reasonably priced as well.

This is my 5th trip to Cuba in 2 years and I have seen most of the island now..I love Holguin, but there is a whole big world out there to see.

Merseyside
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Just back from PCV

Hi there, we don't go until April next year but having read some of the recent reviews (including those about prostitution in the resort) I am now concerned if I have booked the right resort and seriously considering changing hotel. Would you say there were any major issues with this hotel.

Also what rooms would you recommend?

Thanks

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
100,953 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Just back from PCV

Thanks for the review. Such a pity we never got to meet up.

Montreal
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Just back from PCV

Welcome home bellagio. Yes it's a shame! Believe it or not a few days before we left home my office was flooded! Your number was on a post it note on my desk. Needless to say, I forgot about it with all the commotion! Hope you enjoyed your time in Cuba.

4ideas- the problems people are reporting in the latest reviews are true.. Regarding the pool and the food/drink/entertainment issues etc... But honestly, I never witnessed any blatant displays of prostituion. There were a few Canadian men with younger Cuban woman, but people make assumptions when they don't know. One couple arrived together on my flight.. And are an actual couple... In a lot of these cases which are rather common, people assume the girls are working.. When are in fact just married to older forgein men and are vacationing themselves.

Montreal
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Just back from PCV

I wouldn't jump ship just yet... April is a long time from now, and gives them a lot of time to work on the current issues. Bear in mind that it's low season and most hotels are not running in top shape at this time of year.

Blocks 11,15,54 and 55 are very central.

Montreal
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Just back from PCV

Welcome home bellagio. Yes it's a shame! Believe it or not a few days before we left home my office was flooded! Your number was on a post it note on my desk. Needless to say, I forgot about it with all the commotion! Hope you enjoyed your time in Cuba.

4ideas- the problems people are reporting in the latest reviews are true.. Regarding the pool and the food/drink/entertainment issues etc... But honestly, I never witnessed any blatant displays of prostituion. There were a few Canadian men with younger Cuban woman, but people make assumptions when they don't know. One couple arrived together on my flight.. And are an actual couple... In a lot of these cases which are rather common, people assume the girls are working.. When are in fact just married to older forgein men and are vacationing themselves.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
100,953 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Just back from PCV

I certainly saw no sign of it at all in the next door hotel, the Playa Pesquero.

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
209 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Just back from PCV

as for the whole prostitution thing you are reading about...there are sometimes younger Cuban women (looked to be around 25-30 years old) hanging off men in there 60-70's. from what I seen there is no sexual contact near the pool or beach, just not something you want to see regardless. I see it as ... if people choose to do this and do it without drawing attention to themselves to go ahead and do so, it is not something that will ruin my vacation.

Wales
Level Contributor
38 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Just back from PCV

is there a money exchange in the hotel or should we try at the airport how much bottled water do they give you can you buy any more any advice would be most welcome Mike

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
100,953 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Just back from PCV

Hi Mike:

There is a Cadeca at the hotel. It's just to the left as you enter the hotel and that is where you should change your money.

You get a 1.5 litre bottle of water every day. You can buy more water at the shop if you want or you can have your bottle filled at any of the bars.

It's a brilliant hotel and you will love it, I'm sure.