We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kos airport

St. Neots, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Kos airport

We have been visiting Kefalos many times over the last 10 years ( we love it )

On our latest visit a couple of weeks ago. The way returning home british travelers were treated at the airport left a lot to be desired. We were herded like cattle into a very small holding area away from the normal departure lounge. It was manic, children being squashed,adults nearly coming to blows as there were far too many people in such a small area. we have booked to return again later in year. Has anybody had similar experience ? Am hoping this was a one off and next return flight we will not be treated like cattle at Kos airport.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Tigaki
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kos airport

Kos airport is always a bit of a nightmare. Just has to be endured if we want to visit KOS which we do!

merseyside
Destination Expert
for Kalymnos
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kos airport

Hi sheilaandpaul

Not a one off I am afraid! Its worse in the summer when you are made to queue outside in the heat. It is such a small airport there just isnt the room for so many travellers.

St. Neots, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kos airport

Am aware it has always been a nightmare having been about 12 times, but the last trip was far worse than any previous . Why are British travelers being kept away from the normal departure lounge and treated like cattle ? If it same when we return later in year would seriously consider not visiting Kefalos again (and we love it }

Ludlow, United...
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kos airport

If you were kept away from departure lounge which gate did you exit to board your flight .? just an observation ?

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
257 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kos airport

we came back last week and it was MUCH better than 2 years ago

St. Neots, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kos airport

gates 1 & 2 . where as previously you would go through passport control on left side of terminal . This time it seemed all british flights had a new passport control into the area for gates 1'& 2 without any access to the normal departure lounge and duty free

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
184 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kos airport

One year when we were there, our airline went bust which meant a lot of people stranded as there were long delays. We were outside in a very tight group from midnight till 6am then allowed inside until 1pm when the plane finally arrived. This was very much like this, everyone was standing on each other and there was just no room....Maybe there were a few delayed flights that day meaning it was worse than normal? I agree Kos airport isn't the best and its usually pretty cramped but its not usually so bad. Although i don't think anything could stop me going to Kefalos, we love it :)

Ludlow, United...
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kos airport

That sounds very alarming perhaps the airport wants to let the germans and other nationals spend their dosh in duty free and the brits travel home lighter without booze and fags airlines save on fuel maybe . But all the bad times in kos cattle auction sorry airport would not put me off going to kefalos.

Berkhamsted, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Kos airport

I think they started to change it around last year.

I believe internal flights go through the left hand departure gate (as was usual) and the Brits got through to the right hand side straight into the departure lounge. It was chaos last August as there was no room to move and as everybody knows the PA system isn't great - big q's and people (brits) were not letting disabled travellers through between the seats even though the people in wheelchairs flight was on last call and the others were going an hour later.

This year they are doing a lot of works to the airport in terms of expansion and internal replanning so it may go on for a while

kent
Level Contributor
441 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kos airport

On June 7th Access to new Duty Free shop and extra seating was upstairs. it was still packed though.

Get answers to your questions about Kefalos
Recent Conversations