We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wifi or mobile access in area?

Cardiff, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Wifi or mobile access in area?

Hi,

We will be traveling up to this area in late January and for various reasons, will need access to email at least once a day.

Does anyone know if the hotel has wifi, if not is there any places within walking distance that do? Or is there good enough mobile signal to send / receive emails using my phone?

Thanks in advance

Scott

3 replies to this topic
Finland
Level Contributor
894 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wifi or mobile access in area?

Hi, I have been few times to Kilpisjärvi that is further North. I do not recall having mobile phone disruptions on the main road that passes thru those tiny villages, so I would think the signal should be good.

Kaaresuvanto does not have much, there is only a Neste gas station and a roadside souvenir shop that was closed last time I was there. There are no hotels, but I guess you mean the Davvi lodge? As you were careful not to mention the name I guess you have already read its reviews... AFAIK they have no internet (or TV), but I think they might have data sims at the Neste. The gas station has also an ok 'restaurant'. Have a good trip.

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wifi or mobile access in area?

There are areas even by the main road where phone reception is still ok but with data you struggle to get even 2G. This autumn stopped for a coffee in Kaaresuvanto and data was fine.

In Kaaresuvanto not much on the Finnish side other than a gas station and a souvenir shop. Village itself, you could say, is on the Swedish side. Not much there either other than people actually living there... :) Couple groceries/hardware stores and a church. Quire picturesque actually - the Swedish side.

http://www.karesuando.se/

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Wifi or mobile access in area?

Oh, and lunch buffet at Rajabaari (the gas station on the Finnish side) looked almost decent! Not used seeing salad options in those remote gas stations. Usually it's more mashed potatoes, gravy and a piece of pork.

Edited: 6:06 am, November 02, 2013
Reply to: Wifi or mobile access in area?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted