We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Davvi Hotel - a few questions

uk
Level Contributor
918 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Davvi Hotel - a few questions

Hi all,

Thinking about a short break to here for my wifes 40th and our wedding anniversary and the intinary sounds out of this world but I have a few questions before I book

what sockets do they use at this hotel (cabins) ?

Is there internet access?

what time is breakfast / lunch / dinner served and what does it consist of ? - seen bad reviews of food

Is there a bar and how much is a beer (I appreciate Scandinavia has very high prices) ?

Flying into Kiruna - how far is the transfer and can we gtr duty free on the outward flight ?

Can we just walk over into Sweden or is there a border control ?

9 replies to this topic
Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,137 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Davvi Hotel - a few questions

"what sockets do they use at this hotel (cabins) ?"

In Finland we use the Pan-European sockets (Schuko CEE7/4), you will need an adapter. Even when Davvi is run by Transun, I doubt that they have changed the plugs.

"seen bad reviews of food"

Run by Transun, eg British gourmet ;)

"Can we just walk over into Sweden or is there a border control ?"

Once you are in the Schengen zone, you will be able to move freely from one country to another. However as I understand you must use the approved border crossing points. So stay on the road to walk over to Sweden.

BTW You are aware that Kaaresuvanto is a tiny little place (hardly even a village) and Swedish Karesuando is not much bigger? Basically you are either stuck with the Davvi or the local gas station, that's just about what the options are. Personally I would not risk an anniversary in a place where there are no chances for a backup plan. I would choose some resort that receives guests from multiple operators. (Having read Transun/Davvi posts, I'd delete Davvi from my list of options alltogether, but that's another story.)

uk
Level Contributor
918 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Davvi Hotel - a few questions

I guess your not a fan of this operation - have they let you down in the past?.

It was Las Vegas or Lapland and we choose your country for the beautiful scenery, the winter activities and the chance to see "the northern lights".

True it has had some bad press but the reviews of late have all been positive and I am looking forward to seeing your beautiful country.

I have looked into its location and it is its isolation that part of the appeal - strange though it may seem, not sure what other towns would have to offer other than a bar or two and maybe another restaurant choice but I appreciate your candid opinion.

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,137 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Davvi Hotel - a few questions

I have no personal experience from Transun, but the bad press they keep getting would be enough for me.

OK, you realize that the place is isolated and are fine with that. Resorts like eg Levi have a plethora of other options, should you need something else than what the operator offers.

The nature in Lapland is great and hope you'll catch also your share of the aurora. Interesting that you had Vegas as an another option!

uk
Level Contributor
918 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Davvi Hotel - a few questions

we have been to Vegas many times and love it - theres a lot more to LV and the surrounding area than gambling on the strip (canyons, death valley, hoover dam, grand canyon) but we opted for a different type of experience with loads of fluffy white stuff

Edited: 12:44 pm, October 23, 2011
Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Davvi Hotel - a few questions

I can answer some of your questions. The journey from airport to hotel is just over two hours of snowy wilderness. The hotel service is happy but haphazard. Is a bit Youth Hostel-y. The food is poor. Dinner is soup, two stodgy, unappetising main courses, a vegetable and dessert is a small piece of cake. Wine expensive. Price of beer is about 5 Euros a pint. No internet sccess. Sockets are normal Euro sockets. The border control has been clsoed for 15 years. You just walk across. One cafe which is basically a garage shop. In the hotel, take your own travel kettle and teabags. I don't know about the cabins which look very comfortable from the outside. They will give you milk. You can ask for a hairdryer which is adequate. There was no heating or hot water on the last day. No apology. Youn sweat ijnside the suits. It's not good not to be able to shower! This is very low level hotel experience for a high level price but the environment is great. February is a bit late, spring is starting. Go high winter, when snow is guaranteed and temerature low. NOT in the chldren's holidays! Thermal suits and boots excellent but it gets a bit tiresome robing and disrobing. Transun staff were excellent. But Transun would not refund me for an activity I was unable to undertake because of an injury I sustained on one of THEIR previous activities. Go somewhere else.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,870 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Davvi Hotel - a few questions

I would say that ANY place in Finland would be more attracting than Karesuvanto/Karesuando (irrespective by whom the operations are run, but even more so when it is mainly in the hands of incompetent youngsters).

If you want isolation, beautiful sceneries and, above all, service worth the money paid for etc., check e.g. Lapland Hotel Pallas (known to most Britons as the Snowy Wilderness Lodge): tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS .

What comes to isolation, it would be better go to Pallas rather quickly, as they have recentely launched new plans for enlargening the hotel (restoring only the original log-built part of the building) from 130 beds to 320!

Also Bear's Lodge is an isolated non-resort-like place, yet only 30 km from Rovaniemi, so if needed, you can take an excursion there, too: tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g189922-d112… (also known as the Winter Wonderland).

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,137 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Davvi Hotel - a few questions

"February is a bit late, spring is starting. Go high winter, when snow is guaranteed and temerature low. "

Have to disagre with this. Lapland has guranteed snow and full winter definitely till end of March. The temps are also much more human in March than in Jan and there's more snow in March than eariler in the winter.

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Davvi Hotel - a few questions

"I would say that ANY place in Finland would be more attracting than Karesuvanto/Karesuando"

True about the Finnish side Kaaresuvanto, but the Swedish side Karesuando isn't that bad. It's a small village, nicely maintained Swedish-style houses, little gardens, a couple of shops. It actually looks like people live there, which is something you can't say about the Finnish side. But not much to do there.

There's similar constrast also between Ylitornio and Övertorneå. It shocks you when you cross the border. The Finnish side seems like a typical depressed and remote village, but again the Swidish side seems lively, maintained and almost picturesque. But still, not much to do there either.

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Davvi Hotel - a few questions

"Have to disagre with this. Lapland has guranteed snow and full winter definitely till end of March."

Yep. This year we did have exceptionally high temperatures on February, few times even plus temperatures, but that was very very rare. It lasted about a week or two. Now it's March and the weather again more like a typical late winter. Around -20C during nights and -5 - -10C during the days.

Reply to: Davvi Hotel - a few questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted