We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Men - shorts OK in Karak?

Which Karak hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
115 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Men - shorts OK in Karak?

I've searched for advice on men's dress code in Jordan and the summary of the answers I've seen is along these lines: "It's preferred that men not wear shorts - but if they do they should be the long shorts and only in the tourist areas".

I will be touring Petra in the morning and plan on wearing long shorts due to the heat. I have rented a car for my drive to the Dead Sea. I plan on stopping in Karak on the King's Highway to see the castle. Will I be out of place in this small town if I am still wearing the shorts I wore in Petra?

Aqaba, Jordan
Level Contributor
2,696 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Men - shorts OK in Karak?

Hi OC,

Shorts are OK.

Knee high shorts are OK and if you are a toursit, no one cares.

I'm Jordanian, and I love my shorts.

enjoy &

ciao.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Men - shorts OK in Karak?

it seems ok but i think you should respect their culture though.

I saw a lot of man wearing short and women showing boobs (low cut top) with a short that cant be shorter walking around in Petra. A guy even took off his shirt in Petra and hiking half naked.

And honestly, i felt a bit digusting to see that. They just did not repsect the country they are travelling at all.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
115 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Men - shorts OK in Karak?

Thanks aqaba99!

4. Re: Men - shorts OK in Karak?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, May 03, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Karak