We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tongyeong Boat trip - Is Japanese encephalitis needed?

Bath
10 posts
Save Topic
Tongyeong Boat trip - Is Japanese encephalitis needed?

I am trying to decide whether to pay £80 for an inoculation against Japanese encephalitis. I will be traveling in May from Seoul down to Busan, staying in Musan, then having a boat trip to some islands in Tongyeong South Korea, and staying there overnight. Does anyone know if that is an area that has a high risk of Japanese encephalitis?

We will then be ferrying over to Japan, and sticking with the major cities; Osaka, Kyoto, Nara, Mount Fujji (possibly) and Tokyo.

Is there a high risk of Japanese encephalitis near Mount Fujji? As it is a national park with lakes, I thought there might be a higher risk there?

I basically don't want to pay out that much unnecessarily if it's not essential, and we are not at risk.

New York
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tongyeong Boat trip - Is Japanese encephalitis needed?

If you are going there on May, vaccination will be good but I think you can skip it, since it's early in the mosquito season. Just bring strong outdoor bug repellent.

Edited: 10:56 am, February 03, 2010
New York
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tongyeong Boat trip - Is Japanese encephalitis needed?

I want to change my previous comment.

When I traveled to both Korea and Japan, I found Japan more humid and hotter, and have more mosquitoes than Korea. I was there at early September and while I got no mosquito bites in Korea, I got plenty at Tokyo and Kyoto. So I think it maybe safer to get vaccination.

3. Re: Tongyeong Boat trip - Is Japanese encephalitis needed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, August 03, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Tongyeong
More Tongyeong Topics