We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best place to buy groceries?

alberta
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Topic
best place to buy groceries?

We are headed to Maui and Maalaea for the first time in April and staying at a condo. Wondering where is the best place to buy groceries. We are renting a car at the airport and get in mid afternoon,

Also does anyone know of a good place to purchase fresh seafood that is reasonably priced. I love mahi mahi!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Maalaea
Maalaea
57 Reviews
Maui, HI
NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best place to buy groceries?

Foodland or Safeway my personal preference is Foodland.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best place to buy groceries?

Costco is next to the airport, they have Mahi Mahi but don't know where it comes from.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best place to buy groceries?

I have seen Eskimo Candy in Kihei reccomended on here it is a seafood market and restaurant.

Edited: 6:58 pm, January 15, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Eskimo Candy
Eskimo Candy
654 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,224 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best place to buy groceries?

If you have a Costco card, are going to be there for an extended time or have more than two people, that would be a good suggestion. If you would like to wait until after you have checked into your condo, you have some choices. Safeway is not too far up Piilani Hwy, Foodland and Times are on S. Kihei Rd. Eskimo Candy has in the past been reliable but haven't had too many good reports about them recently. Foodland has perhaps the best poke in this side of the island.

Mentioned in this post
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Eskimo Candy
Eskimo Candy
654 Reviews
Maui, HI
Level Contributor
77 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best place to buy groceries?

Ztiew- sounds like we're planning the same kind of trip! We'll be shopping for condo supplies in early March. I'll let you know what we find.

In the meantime, If anyone has more suggestions for good places to shop in the kihea/wailea area - especially organic/local sourced food, I'd be interested!

Edited: 7:39 pm, January 15, 2012
Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best place to buy groceries?

http://hawaiianmoons.com/

alberta
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: best place to buy groceries?

Thanks everyone for your quick replies. Piilani Hwy is exactly where? My maps all have numbers. Are the prices similar between Safeway and Foodland? What about the quality of fresh fruit or meat? When we were in Oahu, many years ago, we often bought our fruit from vendors along the road. Do these exist here too?

Mentioned in this post
Foodland
Foodland
237 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
890 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best place to buy groceries?

piilani hwy runs above Kihei and ends at Wailea.... its #31 on your map probably!

we stay in Kihei, buy some things at Costco, some things at Safeway, and some at Foodland.. no real reasons, costco has good snacks, cheese, POG (gotta have POG)

we get our seafood at Eskimo Candy as mentioned above... fresh off the boat.. its on Halekuai Street...... turn right off of HWY 31 onto Lipoa Street, left on Liloa Street, then right on Halekuai.. they have great Poke too...

enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Eskimo Candy
Eskimo Candy
654 Reviews
Maui, HI
Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best place to buy groceries?

Whole Foods in Kahului and Mana Foods in Paia. Lots of organic selection. I did get fresh tuna at Costco...very fresh! Long Pharmacy Drugs store has a nice selection of food items, alcohol, kitchen ware etc. Great place to buy souvenirs too.

Mentioned in this post
Kahului
Kahului
Maui, HI
Mana Foods
Mana Foods
807 Reviews
Maui, HI
Paia
Paia
Maui, HI
Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best place to buy groceries?

we have a farmers market in the beginning of Kihei, its getting smaller but still exists. IDK if they still have the mac nut pesto, it was a winner on any pasta.

Safeway and Foodland are outlandish buts it's all we have besides the Times for supermarkets so make sure you enroll in the rewards programs to get those discounts. you can do this at the register.

www.bestofmauiguide.com/FarmersMarket.html

Mentioned in this post
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI