We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

public transport

Which Alexandra Headland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
mandurah western...
Level Contributor
107 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
public transport

we will be on the Sunshine Coast for the first time in June for 8 days,we are staying in Alexandra Headland. We wont be hiring a car, so would like to know if it is easy to get around on public transport. I believe we can get a card to use on the buses & trains?

We would like to go to the Emmundi markets, Maleny, the 'Rattler' train...etc

thanks in advance

7 replies to this topic
Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: public transport

There's no trains near Alexandra Headland. The closest station is at Nambour, but Sunbus does operate connections

The local bus service is Sunbus on the Sunshine Coast. Translink is where you'll find info for a Go-Card and bus information and all timetables for bus and train, see the journey planner.

http://translink.com.au/

The Mary Valley Rattler is a Gympie north of the Sunshine Coast. You have to catch Sunbus to Nambour Rail Station to catch a train to Gympie.

For trips to Maleny and the Markets try Sunair

www.sunair.com.au/day-tours-tastes.html

enjoy your holiday LTB

Edited: 7:04 am, March 11, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: public transport

I just stayed on the Sunshine Coast for a few days. Public transport is poor and expensive. Never seen so many buses with signs not in service. High fares even for a short distance. The highest I have seen in Australia.

If you want to take a bus between places on the Coast it will cost something like $8 or $9 one way. That put me off. Even with a 'go card' is expensive. The card is great. Can use it in South East Queensland. I took a train from Nambour to Nerang on the Gold Coast for $9 changing trains in Brisbane. Can use this card on the Gold Coast too.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,850 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: public transport

Yes you can get around to shopping centres and to major loactions on the coast, however it will be more difficult to get to places which are a bit further away (that you mention).

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
189 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: public transport

Shopping Centres are easy to get to using buses but the Eumundi market is a little more difficult.... we usually hire a cheap car for the day and do the market and other attractions in this area including the ginger factory... makes a nice outing and half price rentals in Alex can do a car for around $45

A lovely area to stay in- we always have a great stay

Mitcham, Australia
Level Contributor
201 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: public transport

I have just spent two days on the Sunshine Coast and used the Sunbus services. Granted, the fares are probably the highest in Australia but the GoCard does ease the pain. This morning (Wednesday 16 May) I rode the Wednesday only market bus from Noosa Junction bus Ststion to Eumundi. Most of the passengers were visitors and few had GoCards. This contrasts with elsewhere on the Sunshine Coast where most passengers appear to use GoCards. The relatively new bus station at Noosa Junction is excellent but the one at Caloundra is due for refurbishment. At Maroochydore, buses use an awkward terminal at Sunshine Plaza but it is soon to be replaced by a bus station across the road.

Mitcham, Australia
Level Contributor
201 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: public transport

I have just spent two days on the Sunshine Coast and used the Sunbus services. Granted, the fares are probably the highest in Australia but the GoCard does ease the pain. This morning (Wednesday 16 May) I rode the Wednesday only market bus from Noosa Junction bus Ststion to Eumundi. Most of the passengers were visitors and few had GoCards. This contrasts with elsewhere on the Sunshine Coast where most passengers appear to use GoCards. The relatively new bus station at Noosa Junction is excellent but the one at Caloundra is due for refurbishment. At Maroochydore, buses use an awkward terminal at Sunshine Plaza but it is soon to be replaced by a bus station across the road.

mandurah western...
Level Contributor
107 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: public transport

thanks for all the replies :-)

Reply to: public transport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Alexandra Headland