We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR : Back from 29hrs Savanakhet

Nan Province...
Level Contributor
530 posts
332 reviews
Save Topic
JBR : Back from 29hrs Savanakhet

We were in Savanakhet for 29hrs and I enjoyed the French food at both "Dao Savan Restaurant" and "Chef Boon". We did stay at "Dao Savan Resort" what is a bit out of the way and overprices (but wifes preference). Later in the day I saw that there is an brand new hotel, just in front of the ferry terminal (for Thai & Lao). It is a good looking hotel in the price range of 26us$ to 100us$. No swimming pool and the restaurant is not finished yet. Private car parking in front of the hotel.

We did take the bus from Mukdahan bus-station that goes over the bridge and goes to Savanakhet bus-station. It costs 50thb pp. The bus will drop you first off at the Thai immigration to leave Thailand and pick you up again just after the Thai immigration. Then the bus will ride over the bride and drop you off just before the Lao immigration. Visa on arrival, pay in us$ is much cheaper (saved me 500thb). Then the bus will pick you up just after the Lao immigration and rides to Savanakhet bus-station. That is still about 2km out of the city centre. From there you have to take an Tuk-Tuk.

…blogspot.com/2013/03/old-cars-in-savanakhet…

3 replies to this topic
Vientiane, Laos
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: JBR : Back from 29hrs Savanakhet

Savannakhet is actually really quite a nice place in my opinion and I believe the second biggest city in Laos! I haven't been in about 2 years so I'd imagine a lot has changed since then but I really enjoyed my visit. Many people say it's boring and there is nothing to do etc however I found plenty to do! If your after clubs and bars etc.. It first appears to have nothing on offer however after speaking to the locals there is plenty! You should have spent more than 29 Hours there lol ;)

I spent four days and would certainly go back again.

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
646 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JBR : Back from 29hrs Savanakhet

Thanks! Some nice info.

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JBR : Back from 29hrs Savanakhet

I go there a couple of times a year and really like the place. There are lots of bars and music restaurants if you go out to the dinosaur roundabout and take a right - full of students on weekends.

Reply to: JBR : Back from 29hrs Savanakhet
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted