We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mother/daughter - 1st trip to Greece w/teen - advice please

Northern Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Mother/daughter - 1st trip to Greece w/teen - advice please

Hello!

I've been reading all the wonderful information on Trip Advisor for months. Have purchased our tickets from Toronto to Athens, arriving June 9, 2014. Have 14 days to spend in Greece. Thinking of 2 days in Athens, then splitting the other 12 days between the islands of Naxos and Paros.

Love: sightseeing, history, beaches, hiking, biking, sailing, tours, exploring on own

No interest in night life or bars

Want: Very comfortable and quiet accommodations with sea view, like small/boutique hotels.

Willing to be on a budget for meals... eat in, etc. Prefer to allocate more of my budget for better accommodations than better restaurants/dining.

I'm strongly considering booking a suite for 7 nights at Mitos Suites in Agios Prokopios, Naxos.

Has anyone stayed there? Can anyone recommend a place to stay on Paros similar or less expensive than Mitos Suites, and any budget accommodations in Athens? Would like to have one week at a really fantastic place - as Mitos appears to be.

Open to all suggestions from those who are experienced in these areas of Greek travel. This is truly the biggest trip of our lives (I have been saving for years) and we have never traveled internationally.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Crete, Greece
Level Contributor
46 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mother/daughter - 1st trip to Greece w/teen - advice please

Hi!

If you are going to be in the Cyclades islands, I would definately suggest you to add Santorini in your schedule! Many people believe that it is the most beautiful greek island. The scenery is really dramatic. Volcano, black rocks, famous sunset. And if you like history, there are also important minoic ruins.

Its a small island, 3 days are enough, so I think you could easily add it!

You wont regret it!

Northern Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mother/daughter - 1st trip to Greece w/teen - advice please

Thank you, Stelina C. - We would love to see Santorini, and I will definitely check into adding it to our itinerary.

Do you know anything about the Mitos Suites in Agios Prokopios? Any accommodations that you would recommend or forums to link to?

London, United...
Level Contributor
261 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mother/daughter - 1st trip to Greece w/teen - advice please

Hi Michelle, just a couple of suggestions....

You can eat out very cheaply in Naxos, and conversely it can be relatively expensive to buy ingredients to cook a main meal for yourselves. So you may not have to make the kind of compromises you're thinking about.

Secondly, you can if you like do a day trip to Santorini from Naxos. I think with this being your first trip abroad / to Greece you might possibly prefer to stay in just one or two places and get a feel for the local way of life rather than hopping around ticking off destinations. Naxos is ideal for this since you can jump on a bus or hire a car and explore its traditional inland villages as well as benefiting from the beaches and facilities on the coast :-)

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
824 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mother/daughter - 1st trip to Greece w/teen - advice please

I just had a quick look at Mitos suites to see what sort of price range you were considering, but booking.com is showing it as fully booked!

If you don not require a pool have a look at some of the accommodation available in Naxos old town near the castle.

This makes it convenient for the bus station on the front, the ferries and there are lots of restaurants close by.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,440 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mother/daughter - 1st trip to Greece w/teen - advice please

Hotels usually allocate only a portion of their rooms to websites like booking.com, naturally preferring that customers book directly through their own website. Even if booking.com is showing "fully booked" there may still be suites available through http://www.mitossuites.gr.

Offhand I can think of one hotel on Paros that may be comparable: http://www.steliamare.com . If Mitos and Steia Mare are, in fact, already fully booked there are dozens of other properties from which to choose. For Paros look on http://www.parosweb.com/categories.html

Northern Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mother/daughter - 1st trip to Greece w/teen - advice please

Mitos Suites website shows availability costing $1,200 USD for a large suite - includes daily breakfast buffet, sea views, veranda and a balcony....pool - extensive list of amenities. This is the HIGH end of my accommodation budget.

Northern Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mother/daughter - 1st trip to Greece w/teen - advice please

To juliaWestLondon - thank you for the encouraging reply. That is exactly my thinking regarding limiting our base to Naxos/Paros. Prefer to explore more in-depth as opposed to repeatedly changing islands/hotels. A day trip to Santorini sounds perfect.

It's very tempting to want to do more, but after reading TA forums about overly ambitious itineraries, I'm feeling a bit more confident with my choice.

Greatly appreciate everyone's input.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,967 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mother/daughter - 1st trip to Greece w/teen - advice please

Day excursions from Naxos:

greeka.com/cyclades/…naxos-tours.htm

You can also do a day excursion to Paros using ordinary ferries.

9. Re: Mother/daughter - 1st trip to Greece w/teen - advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 pm, May 12, 2016
Get answers to your questions about Agios Prokopios
Recent Conversations
More Agios Prokopios Topics