We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dengue risk in August in Chachapoyas

Which Chachapoyas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Italy
Level Contributor
597 posts
Save Topic
dengue risk in August in Chachapoyas

Hi. I just need a sincere advice as to the possibility of dengue in the area of Kuelap (as well as in Northern Coastal area of Trujillo and Lambayeque) in August. The information online says there might be outbreaks throughout the year. So can dengue be active there in the dry season also? Asking because I have already had it and would not like to run the risk again

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dengue risk in August in Chachapoyas

I think that nobody can tell you if there would be a dengue outbreak.

I found these on the web that could be helpful for you when travelling north on Peru:

Prevent Insect Bites

Many diseases, like malaria and dengue, are spread through insect bites. One of the best protections is to prevent insect bites by:

•Using insect repellent (bug spray) with 30%-50% DEET. Picaridin, available in 7% and 15% concentrations, needs more frequent application. There is less information available on how effective picaridin is at protecting against all of the types of mosquitoes that transmit malaria.

•Wearing long-sleeved shirts, long pants, and a hat outdoors.

•Remaining indoors in a screened or air-conditioned area during the peak biting period for malaria (dusk and dawn).

•Sleeping in beds covered by nets treated with permethrin, if not sleeping in an air-conditioned or well-screened room.

•Spraying rooms with products effective against flying insects, such as those containing pyrethroid.

For detailed information about insect repellent use, see Insect and Arthropod Protection.

Olmito, Texas
Level Contributor
144 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dengue risk in August in Chachapoyas

2 years ago i was in Trujillo, chiclayo, chachapoyas and Iquitos in July. I never heard of an out break or was advised to be careful about it. i doubt you will have that problems with dengue in Trujillo and other coastal cities because it is so dry there that time of the year.(not to say its impossible for you to get it)

Chachapoyas is different because it is much more tropical (not rain forest) but the winter months are much more mild here. When i went to kuelap and Gocta near chachapoyas i found it to be very warm during the day and cool at night. i also rained a couple of days. like previous post mentioned just take precautions when in chachapoyas and you should be ok.

If you read some articles about the outbreaks you will noticed they happend at the beginning of the year(rainy season) and usually after heavy rains. If there is a time when you are least likely to get it it would be June - August.

Don't worry and have fun.

Edited: 8:52 am, February 26, 2011
Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dengue risk in August in Chachapoyas

Good advise kpsrcyhcrcwr1..! I agree with you....

Go for it 6688ib!

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: dengue risk in August in Chachapoyas

hello,my advice ...just use repellent, and a fan when you sleep,etc...you should be fine....one things for sure,if dengue isn't a worry,then it's malaria,or chagas disease,or this or that......relax ,and enjoy your trip.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dengue risk in August in Chachapoyas

and then we would not leave our homes and will never visit this beautiful places!

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: dengue risk in August in Chachapoyas

EXACTLY...>stop worrying.,and start living people....you could die any day!!!

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: dengue risk in August in Chachapoyas

: ) but please not yet!

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: dengue risk in August in Chachapoyas

alright then ,50% of the time,live like there's no tomorrow!!.... ;-)

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: dengue risk in August in Chachapoyas

sounds more reasonable! will try to do it!

10. Re: dengue risk in August in Chachapoyas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 am, November 08, 2014