We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colca Canyon 2 or 3 days?

nyc
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Colca Canyon 2 or 3 days?

My wife and I are going in May. We don't want to trek but do want to experience the area. Can anyone recommend a 3 day/2 night tour? The 1 night tour just sounds exhausting.

Thanks

Michael

Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Colca Canyon 2 or 3 days?

Hello Michael well you have a Colca Cnayon trekk of 3 days 2 night it is really nice into the Canyon and into the canyon is round 280 m so it is Hot place is like a tropical place into there you have Rustic bungalows with Blankes and beds you have a Nice pools and the Water is not cold ,the difficult of this trek is the last day go up for 3 to 4 Hours depend how you are in Fisical but you have the Option to take a Donky or Horses so then probably you can walk the half of the roard and the rest with donkys or horse you can rent it for 30 or 20 soles you can make it bussines directly with the Horseman who is renting :)

teh tour Cost to you on Aproximalety on not more than $150 soles for 3 days meals 2 nights Acommodation guide and transportation

:) but in case you dont want walk i recommend to do 2 days 1 Night Volca Canyon becuase in real it is Small Area on the town of Chivay :)

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Colca Canyon 2 or 3 days?

Hello Karlite the OP doesn't want to trek.

I spent two nights, I booked an overnight tour with Giardino (they stay at hotel Mama Yacchi on the Corporaque side of the canyon). The pickup about 7 am (not 3am) you make several stops along the way and arrive in Chivay in time for lunch, you can do a quick walk thru the market. There is an optional walk on the Corporaque side thru the terraces and fields to the San Antonio ruins, then they can transport you to the La Calera hot springs in Chivay Dinner is at their hotel (in busy season they may do a bbq). I didn't think the table service dinner was very good, but I didn't get ill.

The next we got up too early, like 5 am, had a walk for maybe half hour or so along the edge of the canyon to the condor overlook. The birds show up right around 9am. On the way back they stop at some of the churches such as Maca and Yanque and some overlooks. I asked them to drop me in Yanque, I spent another night at Killawasi Lodge. In the afternoon they offer a free guided walk to Uyu Uyu (difficult if not acclimated, you might just go down to the Colcas and hot springs instead). There may also be a road now constructed, they were working on it when I was there. Killawasi has an onsite restaurant that has a good reputation. I was too tired to have dinner! The next day I just enjoyed relaxing and then took a taxi back to Chivay for lunch, and met up with the 4M Bus at 1 pm. There are several buffet restaurants in Chivay, the one I liked better was Watete.

There was someone else (middle aged) staying at Killawasi and she said she had no problem finding collectivos to take her around to the different villages, if you don't want to do the walks. She was going to spend a third night there. You do need to be acclimated to enjoy the hikes, or in better shape than I am!

Edited: 1:30 pm, March 31, 2012
nyc
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Colca Canyon 2 or 3 days?

Thanks for the feedback

4. Re: Colca Canyon 2 or 3 days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:32 am, April 02, 2013