We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4M Express bus from Chivay (Colca) to Puno, Peru

Stow, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
4M Express bus from Chivay (Colca) to Puno, Peru

Has anyone used this bus? Is this bus comfortable, does it have toilets, does it offer TV, guides, food, etc? Thank you.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
149 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4M Express bus from Chivay (Colca) to Puno, Peru

My family and I took 4M from Chivay to Puno a few days ago. It left Chivay at 1:30PM and arrived in Puno right around 6:00PM. The bus was pretty comfortable and it does have a toilet (only urinal).

No tv, but it does offer a guide and it stops 3 or 4 different locations. We stopped for lunch, which was included and it was a cheese sandwich, a bottle of water, one chocolate and some hot tea.

It was $40.00 per person -- I don't know when you are planning on going but right now it gets dark around 5PM, so you can't see much out the window after that.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4M Express bus from Chivay (Colca) to Puno, Peru

My wife and I took it from Chivay to Puno in May 2010. The vehicle we were in was a normal passenger van so no toilets or TV. There was a driver as well as a second person who acted sort of like a guide and they gave us bottled water for the trip.

Urubamba
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 4M Express bus from Chivay (Colca) to Puno, Peru

I used to work with 4M but I have had so many inconveniences with them.

They are not reliable and not serious. Try with Giardino tours.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 4M Express bus from Chivay (Colca) to Puno, Peru

We did this for our trip to Peru last Fall. We did not use a bus, it was just a regular 7 passenger mini van. The drive was absolutely gorgeous! We were exhausted and wanted to take a nap, but the scenery was so beautiful that I just could not close my eyes.

The driver made several rest stops for bathroom/snack breaks. Also, we left right on time and got to Puno a little before 6.

MA
Level Contributor
3 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4M Express bus from Chivay (Colca) to Puno, Peru

We also took 4M from Puno to Cusco in October 2011 and only have positive comments. We got picked up at our hotel in Puno at 6.15 am, as planned, and we were immediately taken to the bus. We were the only couple in a~40 people bus and had the guide for ourselves. The bus stopped 4 times along the way, mainly short 5-10 min picture stops. We arrived on time in Chivay. We paid 190 soles for 2 and got water in the bus, plus a sandwich and tee at one of the stops. No problem with this company.

Batemans Bay...
Level Contributor
150 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4M Express bus from Chivay (Colca) to Puno, Peru

We took 4M from Chivay to Puno in September 2011 and they were fine. We left Chivay at 1:30pm and arrived Puno at 7:30pm. They did provide a sandwich snack, but we had just eaten lunch. The bus made many scenic stops along the way (including one where we saw pink flamingos). There were no problems with this service and I would certainly travel this route with them again.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4M Express bus from Chivay (Colca) to Puno, Peru

I took 4-M Express twice (once from Chivay to Puno and once from Puno to Arequipa in November 2011.

I found them to be an excellent service, safe drivers, and the English speaking guide on board is very helpful to passengers who may not be feeling well!. She also went out of her way to be sure I got from the Puno bus terminal to my hotel in Puno.

I used Giardino to go Arequipa to Colca Canyon and they include the onward transfer from Chivay to Puno as part of the package. In Puno my hotel (Qelqatani) called 4-M and set up my transfer back to Arequipa.

There is no TV on the bus, the toilet on the big bus is for "emergency use on'y". They will stop at the high pass for tea, and a snack, and bathroom stops.

Edited: 3:43 pm, June 19, 2012
Hillsboro, Oregon
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 4M Express bus from Chivay (Colca) to Puno, Peru

I'm hiking the colca canyon in October and trying to decide if I should set aside some time to visit puna and lake titicaca. Looks like this bus service would be worth it. How much time should I set aside if I do this and go straight from puna to Lima for my return flight?

Fort McMurray...
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 4M Express bus from Chivay (Colca) to Puno, Peru

it is Good Transportation 4M our travel Agency work with this Transportation

My Regards

Luz Grylls from Inka Hoots

St Minver, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
208 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4M Express bus from Chivay (Colca) to Puno, Peru

We travelled on the excellent 4M Express Bus from Chivay to Puno, Peru in May 2013. We were on a private tour of South America and had taken a 2 day trip to Colca Canyon from Arequipa with Condor Travel but did not want to return to Arequipa but instead get to Puno to enjoy the sights of Lake Titicaca.

We checked-in for the bus at 4M Reception which is just down one of the side roads very close to the main square of Chivay. The check-in was very efficient and friendly. Our luggage was taken from us and we were given luggage tags in order to collect our bags on arrival at Puno Bus Station. The waiting area was pleasent and that day there were a lot of travellers seeking to transfer to Puno. 4M had provided two buses. The first left at 1:15pm and we were allocated two numbered seats on the second bus that left before 1:30pm. The bus was extremely comfortable and had two drivers as well as an on-board hostess who worked extremely hard. There was an on-board toilet but it was hardly used as the coach stopped twice during the 6 hour journey for a comfort break. The first stop after 1 1/2 hours was at a wayside cafe close to the Puno/Arequipa turning where we were provided with a sandwich, a chocolat, bottle of water and a cup of tea. The second stop was just for toilets by a very picturesque lake after another 2 hours on the road. We arrived on schedule at Puno Bus Station which is a very secure stop where our bags were very efficently returned to us.

A transfer that was enjoyable because of the scenerary en route and very comfortable.