We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for starting advice to plan an Amazon river cruise

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
99 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for starting advice to plan an Amazon river cruise

Hello Hello. Just got back from an incredible trip in the Galapagos, aboard the Samba. (look for my post in the Galapagos section).

I'm now beginning to plan our next adventure, hopefully a land/river based trip down and around the Amazon. I'd love some tips to start me off on my planning:

1) Peru or Brazil based? Like most folks, I'm interested in as much animal viewing as possible, and would like the opportunity to interact with the native peoples in the Amazon.

2) Machu Picchu ? Can I reasonably combine an Amazon river cruise with a trip to Machu Picchu? I'd like the trip to be about 14 or 15 days total, including transport from upstate NY. I don't want to short-change either the Amazon or Machu Picchu by trying to cram too much into the two weeks. My wife and I believe that "if we can't see it this year, it will be there next year"

3) Wants/Needs in the river cruise: Clean, comfortable, good food

4) Don't want or need in a river cruise: Gourmet meals, grand staterooms, spa treatments. I'm there to see the Amazon and it's animals. If I want a massage, I'll get that back here in Rochester.

5) GAP Adventures has a 12 (or so) day river cruise, I believe 7 on the boat, 2 in an Amazon hotel and one in a permanent tent camp. This is based in Peru. Looks good, but I'm curious if there are any other similar tours.

btw - My wife and I are in our mid-fifties, are well travelled and are in 'pretty good' physical condition.

I appreciate all of the wonderful help on this forum.

Thanx !

joearena

1. Re: Looking for starting advice to plan an Amazon river cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:32 am, September 26, 2013
Edited: 10:32 am, September 26, 2013
2. Re: Looking for starting advice to plan an Amazon river cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 06, 2011