We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Plata to Las Galeras - and back again!

North Chailey
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Puerto Plata to Las Galeras - and back again!

I am trying to work out the best way to get from Puerto Plata to Las Galeras.

We do not arrive until about 16:30pm on 11 May 2014 (sunday). A taxi sounds very very expensive so wanted to find either someone to share a taxi - or to find a cheap but clean hotel near to the bus. I believe there is a bus in the morning at 6:30/6:45? We return to Puerto Plata on Sunday 25th and our flight is again in the afternoon.

I would be grateful for any advise / contacts that anyone can provide. Email addresses best as phoning from the UK is very expensive. There are two of us (myself and my husband).

Kind regards

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Plata
Puerto Plata
Dominican Republic
Las Galeras
Las Galeras
Dominican Republic
Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Puerto Plata to Las Galeras - and back again!

I will ask my hotel friends....quite a few of them work at gps and on their days off go back to POP where their families live....

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puerto Plata to Las Galeras - and back again!

the bus leaves at 5:30 am, 6:30 am and again at 2pm....and the cost is $10.00 per person....they are getting back to me on a small hotel or bed and breakfast that is near the airport or bus stop.....

Jackson, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
9,207 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Puerto Plata to Las Galeras - and back again!

At that time of day your options are Taxi or Transfer and both are expensive. You might find someone on your plane to share with and that would be your best option. Otherwise you could spend a night in Sosua or Cabarete and catch the Morning bus to Samana (350 RD) where you can catch a guagua (100 RD) to LG.

Gettting back is much easier as you can catch a guagua to Samana and then catch the bus back to PP which will leave you at the POP Airport entrance.

Mentioned in this post
Sosua
Sosua
Dominican Republic
Cabarete
Cabarete
Dominican Republic
Samana Province
Samana Province
Dominican Republic
Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Puerto Plata to Las Galeras - and back again!

try the Sunshine Hotel....

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Puerto Plata to Las Galeras - and back again!

or go on the POP forum and ask around if anyone else is flying in that day too going to LG....

North Chailey
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Puerto Plata to Las Galeras - and back again!

Thanks so much for your help.... this is really very useful.. I think staying in PP for the night and then getting the bus is the best option - I am looking forward to enjoying the journey in the daylight! Can you tell me where I find the POP forum - thank-you again... Really helpful..

Las Galeras...
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Puerto Plata to Las Galeras - and back again!

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g147290-i64-Puerto…

a rather long link that will take you to the Peurta Plata forum

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
42,711 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Puerto Plata to Las Galeras - and back again!

Alex,

You have already posted in the Puerto Plata (POP) forum after I gave you both this forum link and the link to the Puerto Plata forum after you posted on the General Dominican Republic forum.

Here is the link to your posting on the Puerto Plata forum.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g147290-i64-k733…

Angie.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Plata
Puerto Plata
Dominican Republic
North Chailey
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Puerto Plata to Las Galeras - and back again!

Hi Angie sincere apologies - I don't use forums on a regular basis and was not sure where I had posted (I thought I had posted to the two you gave me before ie. PP and then LG.. I did not realise the PP was the same as POP!!!!!!

Happy to learn if I am doing things wrong - just want to expose my questions to as many (right) places as possible. Your help so far has been great and we are looking at staying in Sousa and picking up the bus in the morning. can I just check - this is the LG forum... Is it OK to post the same questions in both forums? thanks Alex.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
42,711 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Puerto Plata to Las Galeras - and back again!

Hi again Alex,

No need for apologies, just glad to help you out and point you in the right direction for you to get the best feedback and response from travelers here on the forums.

Yes this is the Las Galeras forum :)

By all means post on both forums, hopefully travelers will help you out concerning your transfers from the airport to Las Galeras.

Angie.

Mentioned in this post
Las Galeras
Las Galeras
Dominican Republic