We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is renting a beach Villa safe?

Foster City...
Level Contributor
3 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Is renting a beach Villa safe?

i am planning a trip to the Dominican Republic in mid February and have reserved a villa on the beach for my family of 4 with two children under 6. i was not worried at at, but someone told my sister the D.R. is unsafe. We are pretty adventurous travelers but this is our first Caribbean trip. I guess my only concern is that renting a villa does not offer the 24-hour security the hotels do. Is there really much to worry about? Any advice from Ex-Pats living int he D.R. or other will be appreciated.

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is renting a beach Villa safe?

Most rental villas do provide security. Check with the villa owner. If that is the case you should be just fine.

We live here full time but do live in a gated community. However we have many friends who do not but do have security measures and no problems.

BObK

Foster City...
Level Contributor
3 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is renting a beach Villa safe?

Thanks for the information. If you or nayone else has any further advice of recommendations for us. I'd love to hear from you!

Thanks!

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is renting a beach Villa safe?

Have stayed in a villa near center of town with no security and felt very safe. That being said all places are not the same and circumstances change daily :) I would make sure there was a safe at the very least to keep valuables while out and be careful walking unpopulated areas at night. Las Galeras is very tranquil with many hidden beaches and things to explore if you like, or a nice place to just relax. You will need to do most of your shopping in Samana town as the mini-mart in LG was lacking many things (at least a few years back when we were there) Hope you enjoy your trip! BfP

Mentioned in this post
Las Galeras
Las Galeras
Dominican Republic
Samana Province
Samana Province
Dominican Republic
Las Galeras...
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Is renting a beach Villa safe?

Hi There

Good choice of vacation area, Las Galeras is a safe place to be. Of course we have the occasional house robberies but these are usually opportunist thefts where tourists leave windows or doors open and then go out for the day. Street crime is virtually non existent but, again, take sensible precautions. Most of the villas that are rented out for vacations have security guards (watchimen) who generally are in place around 7pm and stay until 7am.

We have lived and operated our scuba business in Las Galeras for a year now and have had no problems. When you arrive, if you would like any more information, just contact us - advice and information is free!

Mentioned in this post
Las Galeras
Las Galeras
Dominican Republic
Foster City...
Level Contributor
3 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is renting a beach Villa safe?

Thank you for he helpful information and i'm glad to here there are no surprises. we are looking forward to our first trip to the D.R.

england
Level Contributor
3,118 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is renting a beach Villa safe?

We have been to DR several times and find that the Samana region to be one of the places in the world that we feel safe as tourists. However we never take anything valuable with us, take the usual precautions and are respectful to the local people and of the environment.

If you speak a little spanish you will find that this will enhance your holiday as you will be able to converse with the local people, who are friendly and honest and will be interested and want you to enjoy this wonderful part of the world.

Mentioned in this post
Samana Province
Samana Province
Dominican Republic
7. Re: Is renting a beach Villa safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, January 08, 2014