We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying into Santo Domingo: Should we rent an SUV?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
41 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Flying into Santo Domingo: Should we rent an SUV?

My husband and I are considering a trip to the Dominican over Christmas this year (approx 7 days). We would fly into Santo Domingo and stay somewhere in the Samaná area (we are looking at Eva Luna, or Chalet Tropical Village).

We love to explore areas and find unique beaches - is it worth it to rent an SUV and drive from SDQ airport to Las Galeras/Samana area?

Any input is appreciated! thank you!

Santa Barbara de...
Level Contributor
2,090 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying into Santo Domingo: Should we rent an SUV?

If you can afford it and the cost is not an issue absolutely go with an SUV.

If money is a concern, get the insurance on the car rental and don't worry about it.

Just driving on the roads here in Samana is like offroading back home so you will be happier for that reason.

The biggest reason is that you will feel vulnerable driving around in a low to the ground car. You at least feel like you have a chance when you are in an SUV. You'll see that the SUVs rule the road here. Probably 60% of the cars on the road are SUV. My life did a 180 when I got rid of my car and bought my SUV . I'll never ever own another car down here.

The next reason is that you can't get to some of our secluded beaches in a car. Even our most popular beach, Playa Rincon is very tough to get to without an SUV.

The other option, and a fun one at that, is to rent an ATV for the days you decide to go out and explore. Leave the car at the hotel and have a great time on the quad. It will run you around $70 to $80 a day for an ATV though. Cheap compared to daily rental prices in the U.S.

2. Re: Flying into Santo Domingo: Should we rent an SUV?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:37 am, February 02, 2011