We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Las Galeras / Safety

West Saint Paul...
4 posts
Save Topic
Getting to Las Galeras / Safety

How long is the trip from Santo Domingo to Las Galeras by bus? Do you recommend Caribe Tours or another line? Any tips?

I hate to sound paranoid, but a lot of forums are telling horror stories about crime in DR. What is the situation these days in Las Galeras?

Thanks for your help!

Brett

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,166 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Las Galeras / Safety

you must first take a taxi(around $40) to the caribe bus station in santo domingo as the busses do not depart from the airport. the bus goes only as far as samana town so you then must take another taxi to las galeras. the town of las galeras i would say is very safe, although some incidents have occurred on some of the remote beaches so it is best to take boats to them instead of walk and not to carry much of value. IMO these horror stories are no more than petty crimes and not life threatening and are very rare. for any touring to the interior of the peninsula a poster on here named terry (toursamanawithterry) i have heard good things about and have received prompt info from although i have not personally met would be a good option for an excursion and the whales are there from late dec to early march. i would think total time from leaving the airport to arriving to las galeras would be no more than 4hrs since 2 taxis are involved. there is also some excellent info on http://www.dr1.com/forums/north-east-coast/ good luck and happy travels... ben jammin'

Edited: 6:18 am, December 07, 2009
Santa Barbara de...
Level Contributor
2,089 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Las Galeras / Safety

I agree with Ben, except for the part about that Terry character.

His opinions about crime are right on, you need to have common sense and be aware of your belongings and surroundings.

Ben's info for travel to Las Galeras, beautiful beautiful area, are also spot on.

The only thing I would change is that the whales normally show up around the 15th of January. Not that there aren't a few here before that, just that they don't start tours until after this date.

The views from the beaches in the Las Galeras will blow your mind.

Visit Samana now as things will change here in the next 5 years. If the economy recovers at all you won't recognize our area within 10 years.

3. Re: Getting to Las Galeras / Safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 07, 2010