We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

YS or Mayfield Falls for family with young kids?

Which Lucea hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Centreville...
Level Contributor
32 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
YS or Mayfield Falls for family with young kids?

I am staying in Lucea at GP and wondering what a good Falls trip would be for the kids? I think Dunns River is too far, so I am looking at YS (I think 2 hours away) and Mayfield (1 hour away). YS looks like there is more to do but I think 2 hours there and back would be too much. Any opinions on the ride? Places to stop at along the way to break up the trip?

Thanks

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
96 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: YS or Mayfield Falls for family with young kids?

Hi, how young are the kids? Two hours there and back is a lot for toddlers. If they're that age, everyone would be happier with the shorter trip.

Hopefully, someone will help with the other questions...

Marion, Iowa
Level Contributor
803 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: YS or Mayfield Falls for family with young kids?

My kids ages 12 and 15 loved ys falls. And we got the best family pics there with our camera and one of the guides taking the pics. We cd from Mobay. Long bumpy ride. No stops on the way. Really pretty countryside.

roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
8,255 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: YS or Mayfield Falls for family with young kids?

ages?

as long as you can stop along the way you will be fine. For under 6-I would say YS. It's not a long hike-acess to go up/down as you wish and there is a spring pool to swim in-the ride into the falls is cool and kids would like that. 6and up Mayfields...a long hike. really cool place but once you are in the hike you really need tokeep going. the guides are really helpful and help the kids. I have gone when families had real youndg babies in backpacks.

PEACE!

Centreville...
Level Contributor
32 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: YS or Mayfield Falls for family with young kids?

Thanks. YS seems like a better place for us. Just hope the two hour drive isn't to bumpy!

Marion, Iowa
Level Contributor
803 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: YS or Mayfield Falls for family with young kids?

It is bumpy. It did not bother my family. But I did get sick when we got there. Then I was fine. I also have a tendency to get car sick so, take it with that. I should have ate a bigger breakfast I guess. It was so worth it and we would do it again. Don't forget your camera. And we did not even use a waterproof one that is how good the guides are. We tipped 10usd for his photography skills!

Centreville...
Level Contributor
32 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: YS or Mayfield Falls for family with young kids?

Good to know. Thanks for the warning!

7. Re: YS or Mayfield Falls for family with young kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 01, 2014