We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to and from Gemona, Italy

Ottawa, Ontario...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travel to and from Gemona, Italy

I have been searching the web trying to find a way to get to Gemona Italy. I see that there is a train station in the city, according to google maps. But every website I have tried does not let me book a ticket there. It almost seems as though there is no more service that goes to Gemona. I'm starting to get worried because I really need to get there so that I can do research at the cineteca del friuli. If I can't get there, I'll lose out on my school's travel bursary which is funding a large part of my europe travel.

Also, I cannot drive so that is not an option. It must either be bus or train. I'd really appreciate any tips, If any locals know how to book something that will get me there.

3 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,457 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to and from Gemona, Italy

You are probably looking too far ahead. There is a timetable change on 8 June, and times after then have not yet been decided. Use a travel date in the next 7 days to see current times and costs, which are unlikely to change greatly with the new timetable. www.trenitalia.com

You will see that all the trains to Gemona del Friuli are local (Regionale) trains, indicated by R or RV symbols on the Trenitalia web site. It is absolutely pointless trying to book these trains over the Internet. There are no seat reservations (so tickets cannot sell out) and no discounts. Buy the tickets in Italy.

Regionale tickets bought in Italy can be used on any Regionale train for the journey purchased. Before you get on the train, you must time-stamp the ticket in a machine at the station.

Ottawa, Ontario...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to and from Gemona, Italy

Thank you, that's really helpful. I guess I'll have to get used to the modes of transportation over there. Is it ever really worth booking a train in advance? Seems as though trains in Italy I really layed back. The longest distances I'll be doing is: Milan-Venice, Udina-Florence, Florence-Rome,Rome-Naples.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,457 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to and from Gemona, Italy

Except during August, when many Italians are travelling on holiday, it is unusual for Italian trains to sell out. However, for all trains except Regionale services, you will get a better price if you book as far in advance as possible.

Tickets usually go on sale 4 months before travel, and the cheapest tickets often sell out quickly. The discounted prices keep going up as the travel date gets closer.

As well as Trenitalia, there is also a new operator serving Milan, Turin, Bologna, Venice, Florence, Rome, Naples and Salerno: http://www.italotreno.it/EN

Reply to: Travel to and from Gemona, Italy
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gemona del Friuli