We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking Borobudur once in Yogyakarta?

Which Borobudur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
1 post
Save Topic
Booking Borobudur once in Yogyakarta?

My mother and I are planning a pretty last minute trip to Yogyakarta, and want to make a trip out to Borobudur as well. We arrive on a Wednesday at 7:00 and leave Thursday at 13:00 (so we basically have 1.5 days in the region). My question is, is it possible to find a day tour to Borobudur for Wednesday once we arrive? (eg, book it through the airport, or through our hotel for the day of?) And if not, do you think I can book a Borobudur sunrise trip for Thursday once we arrive on Wednesday? My other option is to book in advance online (kind of tough because I have no regular phone or internet access right now).

Thank you all!

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking Borobudur once in Yogyakarta?

Hi there,

not sure where you will be staying, but some hotels can arrange the trip for your through their concierge and this might be the best option for such last-minute trip like yours. This is the safer approach to get a guaranteed tour and you'll save the hassle to waste your already short visiting time to Yogyakarta. Some others (such as Rumah Mertua) also offers car rental service.

Otherwise, you can easily find a number of tour operators who can arrange the trip for you in backpackers area such as Prawirotaman or Sosrowijayan (these are the names of backpackers village in Yogyakarta).

Still, I recommend to keep the phone number and address of these tour agent/car rental company handy in your bag in case you're not into the idea of walking around the city just to find a travel agent

www.yogyes.com/en/yogyakarta-tour-operator/

www.yogyes.com/en/yogyakarta-car-rental/

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
8,608 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking Borobudur once in Yogyakarta?

When I go to Borobudur, I just jump in a taxi and drive there. There are tour guides inside the complex and you can hire them on the spot. Ask the taxi to wait for you, they have a waiting fee that is preset, or you can negotiate for a full day, and then when you are finished you jump in the taxi and leave.

Or of course there are tour agencies that will gladly do the tour for you from anywhere in Jogja. Jogja is very well set up for tourists.

Have fun!

Java, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking Borobudur once in Yogyakarta?

Hi,

for such a short stay, it might make sense to simply rent a car. It shouldn't cost you more than rp 500 000 per day, driver included.That way, he can pick you up from the airport, take you to your hotel to check in, and take you str8 to Borobodur. The guides at Borobodur are excellent so you don't need an agency to get you your own guide.

Having your own car also means you can explore places like Imogiri, and kota Gede in the afternoon.

The kraton and the Taman Sari water palace are easily visited by foot on the second morning if you are staying in the Sosrowijayan area.

Cheers and good luck.

4. Re: Booking Borobudur once in Yogyakarta?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, October 02, 2012