We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Idea on travel time Cluj to Vadu Izei

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
18 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Idea on travel time Cluj to Vadu Izei

Hello, I posted a question just 1-2 weeks ago, so I guess some of you know me by now :). I am finalising my travel plans thanks to the help of the Forum members, and I do have one last question:

Our flight arrived in Cluj at 12 (noon). I was wondering: would you recommend to stay one night in Cluj (is it worth seeing), or do you reckon it's feasible to pick up the rental car and drive to Vadu Izei? Google maps tells me it's 3-4 hours (via Dej, Targu Lapus), but it would be good to rely on someone's experience travelling this route.

Also, does anyone have a good rental car company recommendation?

Thanks again :)

Breb, Romania
Level Contributor
556 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Idea on travel time Cluj to Vadu Izei

From the airport to Vadu Izei with the route Dej-Targu Lapus-Lapus-Stramba Baiut-Cavnic-Vadu Izei, it takes around 3 - 3,5 hours. Dej-Baia Mare-Vadu Izei takes a bit more than 4 hours (first one is more scenic and more quiet). So it is very easy to get your rental car and drive to Vadu Izei, especially since the airport of Cluj is located on the north side of town, so you are already in the good direction and don't have to go all the way through the city.

Cluj is a nice city to walk around for a day, but it all depends on your interests and your schedule. If you return the car in Cluj perhaps it is better to have a look in the city on that day.

I've had good experiences with Autonom rental cars, but most companies located at the airport are good.

Matthijs

2. Re: Idea on travel time Cluj to Vadu Izei

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:36 am, June 29, 2014
Maramures
Level Contributor
643 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Idea on travel time Cluj to Vadu Izei

This is a lovely ride and lapus is a nice little village for a walk around if you want to break the journey. Targu lapus is a little bigger and there is a small resteraunt there if you get hungry.

Be a bit warey the road is very streight and rural so theres a temptation to put your foot down but watch out for occasional large pot holes. Rob

4. Re: Idea on travel time Cluj to Vadu Izei

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, July 15, 2015