We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Climbing Mount Olympus in May

Which Litochoro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
9 posts
Save Topic
Climbing Mount Olympus in May

I'm planning on climbing Mount Olympus during the first week in May. Is the Summit normally snow covered during this time of year? I have heard that crampons or microspikes are unnecessary, would you agree with this? Is there a ranger station or park service that I could call in order to get mountain weather reports?

5 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Climbing Mount Olympus in May

We are doing the same thing - we have found the following blog quite helpful: http://www.fun2fly.com/chapter%2017.htm

There is also the halfway Spilios Agapitos Refuge A

which most people use - we have booked beds through Maria there:

Zolota Maria [mailto:info@mountolympus.gr]

Hope this helps.

New York City, New...
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Climbing Mount Olympus in May

Great! Thanks a lot. When are you planning on climbing?

Sao Paulo
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Climbing Mount Olympus in May

Hi

My name is Carlos Morey and I'm in holydays, but I'd like to hike up to Mt. Olympus. Probably I'll be arriving in Litohoro on May 9th. When do you plan to climb?

I don't know if they have gears/equipments to rent in Litohoro, but I'd need a shell and a sleeping bag.

Thanks in advance,

Carlos Morey

New York City, New...
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Climbing Mount Olympus in May

Carlos - I just climbed Mt Olympus this morning. There is still a good amount of snow on the mountain that begins just below the Refuge. I got to about 2200 meters before turning back, however I was able to get a good view of the conditions going up to the summit.

An expert climber could make the summit with no gear required.

An intermediate climber should take trekking poles, micro-spikes, and an ice axe.

I wouldn't recommend the climb for a novice climber who doesn't know how to handle an ice axe. It looked like there was a snow covered arete close to the summit that had some exposure.

The Refuge opens on May 15th, but you could defintely find a place to pitch a tent near the Refuge. You could make the climb in one day. It would take 5-6 hours to make the summit at a leisurely pace. Then there's the down of course.

I don't know about renting gear, however the owner of my hostel in Thessaloniki said that the owner of Summit Zero, a hostel in Litochoro, knows a lot about the area. Give that hostel a call to find out about gear.

Have fun!

-Kev

Sao Paulo
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Climbing Mount Olympus in May

Hi

Thanks in you for your valueable information.

I'm experienced climber, but I'd not attempt na unkown mountain for me, alone, in these conditions.

I'll try to get a group or try another time.

Thank you!!!

Carlos Morey

Reply to: Climbing Mount Olympus in May
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Litochoro