We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

booking campsites and huts

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,487 posts
429 reviews
Save Topic
booking campsites and huts

Just spent another fantastic couple of days in Abel Tasman National Park. However, it was surprising that there are still campers who have not purchased bookings for overnight stays. for all the great walks, and many other walks in NZ, you do need to book campsites and huts. This is to prevent overcrowding and to ensure everyone can enjoy the area with space and privacy.

If you do not have a booking you will be charged a penalty extra rate and may not be able to stay in the park. DOC rangers check all campsites.

It is cheap to stay and pays for the awesome track maintenance. So please remember to respect all users of the parks and prebook.

Portland, Oregon...
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: booking campsites and huts

How far in advance does the DOC allow bookings? I've been warned about booking in advance so I went to the website and I can't reserve anything for my end of Dec 2014/beginning of Jan 2015 trip. I have some specific dates in mind for a three day trek and want to be sure to get huts for those nights.

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
128 posts
599 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: booking campsites and huts

Hello,

From what I understand, mid-March, early April is when bookings open for the following season (starting in Dec, I think? Maybe November). If you want the really popular treks, like Milford Sound, the huts here are apparently gone in a matter of hours, so you pretty much have to be on the DOC website every few hours to check if they've come online. One thing to maybe consider is to call the DOC offices or email them directly - they are quite good about responding.

Good luck.

Edited: 9:50 am, March 12, 2014
3. Re: booking campsites and huts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:28 am, March 14, 2015