We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

water taxis abel tasman national park

north wales uk
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
water taxis abel tasman national park

I will be visiting abel tasman in Feb, 2011 for 4 days. Accommodation is booked in Motueka. I will have a rental car to get to Marahau & Kaiteriteri. I want to walk the coastal path in sections using water taxis to get back to my car each night. Do I need to book water taxis in advance or can i just hop on & off as & when I need to?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,203 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: water taxis abel tasman national park

Feb is peak season in Abel Tasman so you will need to book. Also the service is not like a bus - they don't stop in every bay to look for passengers - they have a precise list of where they have pick-ups & drop offs. This is an expensive way to walk the track. Why don't you use the huts?

Christchurch
Level Contributor
652 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: water taxis abel tasman national park

Hi Lismor19

This is a strange way to walk the track and expensive but have put in three links for you to look at re cost and availability

http://aquataxi.co.nz/

http://www.abeltasmanseashuttles.co.nz/

www.abeltasmancentre.co.nz/watertaxi.html

The track is wonderful to walk and very pleasant. Schools will be back in Feb but it is still peak season so bookings are advisable. There is some nice accomodation in Marahau at the beginning of the track - did you think about staying there?

Hope the links help

cheers

Kiwi

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,467 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: water taxis abel tasman national park

Hi lismor

We will be visiting NZ in Feb/Mar next year and will be in the Abel Tasman area in Feb. As we don't wish to camp and use the DOC huts, we will also be basing ourselves in Motueka area and doing day trips into the park using the water taxi system.

I had already researched the companies that 4kiwis gives weblinks for. I've worked out a walking route which uses the taxis to get us to different points in the park so we can walk different sections of the coastal track. We also plan on kayaking for half a day. I know it it quite expensive, but as tourists, we feel the cost is worth it to enable us to cherry pick the bits we want to do, and by-pass other parts of the track.

So don't let them put you off what you want to do!

SWT

north wales uk
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: water taxis abel tasman national park

Hi to everyone for your advice. Zhuhai2007, I had considered DOC huts or campsites but decided that I'd like a little more comfort. This is really a trip of a lifetime for me and although I have camped previously, Im getting that little bit older and preferring more creature comforts these days! Info rebooking water taxis is much appreciated though. 4kiwitravellers thanks very much for website details, checking those out right away. I had considered Marahau, but got a good deal in Motueka and decided that the short drive from Motueka each day woud be ok. SWT thanks for your encouragement, I don't think I'll have time to walk the whole of the coastal path because I also want to Kayak, but can't decide whether to do a full day or half a day. SWT are there any parts of the track that you consider to be more worthwhile than others if time is limited?

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,467 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: water taxis abel tasman national park

Having never been of couse, we don't know which are the 'better' sections to walk. Also, without digging out all my currently filed notes, I can't remember exactly which walks we decided upon, but I think we decided, mostly in order to see as much of the coast as possible from the boat, to head to the furthest point we can be dropped off and walk one section south, and then get picked up. Also, it seems the more northerly sections are the more quiet ones. So we don't necessarily have to take food with us, we felt we might prefer to do ones where there's the possibility of finding lunch. I think these are only Awaroa and Anchorage Bay. For kayaking, the area that includes Tonga Island allows you the possiblity of getting quite close to families of seals, but is also one of the more crowded kayaking areas.

Both of the water taxi companies mentioned also do their own day packages that give you return water taxi rides and walking time. They might be cheaper than single rides.

If you google the sea kayak company, you will find they also have trips that combine kayaking, walking and water taxis.

Curiously, despite the Abel Tasman being a very popular tourist destination, there seem to be almost no reviews here on TA of any of these operators for you to get a feel of how good they are or to learn more about them.

Have a great time,

SWT

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,203 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: water taxis abel tasman national park

In response to SWT's query about reviews - I think there are 3 problems (1) many of the visitors to this forum are older travellers who are not very adventurous; (2) many are also trying to see more and end up "doing" less and finally while the experts here give great advice they are locals and do not take these tours- we need more travellers to actually review the activities they do. In many other forums you get fewer locals and more "expats" who actually try out all the activities we write about.

7. Re: water taxis abel tasman national park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:05 am, October 02, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
995 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: water taxis abel tasman national park

I suggest you take the water taxi out and then walk back. It's impossible to be sure how long it will take you otherwise.

It is quite flat along the first day of the track. I took a kayaking trip, spent the night, and walked back.

9. Re: water taxis abel tasman national park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:35 pm, January 31, 2011
Motueka, New Zealand
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: water taxis abel tasman national park

Hi

Just thought I'd let you know that Aqua Taxi offers a free shuttle service to/from Motueka (collection at 8am, return at 5pm) if you'd rather leave your car at the motel. Enjoy your trips!

Get answers to your questions about Abel Tasman National...