We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm coming back again!!!

Herefordshire
Level Contributor
533 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
I'm coming back again!!!

Hi everybody I'm so excited we are planning a return visit to New Zealand early in 2011 (I know its a long way off but the planning keeps we going throught the long dark UK winter!!)

We want to visit some of the places we didn't get to see last time.

One of these is Abel Tasman National Park. So could you advise any shortish walks. We are a family of 4 and our children will be 11 & 8 . Where should we stay. I dont think we will have a campervan this time so will be car and looking for some sort of motel / hotel / guesthome etc - any recommendations.

Also what would you all recommend as the highlights of the area.

Looking forward to getting all the info from Zappers & all you other regulars who with all your little gems of info made our holiday amazing in 2007. Can you tell I'm a little excited about coming to NZ again!!!!!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I'm coming back again!!!

Welcome back H :)

It's never too early to begin planning, enjoy!

... I shall leave your questions to those who know the area better than me.

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,525 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I'm coming back again!!!

One question I will pose which is worth thinking about and that is to give time to the northern end and not the Tourist end.

The area called takaka/Collingwood is over a large marble mountain and is another world to explore....farewell spit...West Haven Inlet.....Totoranui....Pohara.

You can access the park and dependant on what you want to do it is possible to see/do the Able tasman and that area at the same time.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: I'm coming back again!!!

Wow!Nice to read this-"Looking forward to getting all the info from Zappers & all you other regulars who with all your little gems of info made our holiday amazing in 2007. Can you tell I'm a little excited about coming to NZ again!!!!!"

It's great to see aknowledgement to those on this forum who put so much time into helping out travellers.

I always find questions posed here are answered so promptly and well, that there is very little for me to add.Great forum here.And great travellers too.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15,846 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I'm coming back again!!!

I second the acknowledgement of the many hours of advice offered by the NZ experts. Unlike some other forums on which some regulars can get very possessive and even nasty (mai non, I will not mention any destinations!) I have found the Kiwis to be helpful, polite, humorous and delightful (and this goes for the Kiwis we meet elswhere around the world too, like the couple who helped us "close a pub" in Derry, NI one night)....

Too bad you guys can't bottle whatever makes y'all so friendly and accommodating!

On topic, we will be spending 3 nights at Abel Tasman, so intend to go "over the mountain" for a day up to Farewell Spit. I understand, tho, that we can only go out on the Spit with a tour...??? And the other full day there will be spent hiking in the park (60, used to hiking--our 2 1/2 hour hike on the Aguille du Midi in France turned into 6 hours--our mistakes--and we survived, so I guess we're ready...but gosh I sure wish I'd been more serious about losing 10 lbs...20....ok 40!)

We also want to try kayaking, but, um, we've never kayaked before, and tho I am a Pisces, I cannot swim. Any thoughts?

Nelson, NZ
Level Contributor
120 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I'm coming back again!!!

Hi H,

You are correct that you need to go onto Farewell Spit as part of a tour. We went a few years ago - there were two companies that were based in Collingwood which is a very small town. The trip times depend on tides so you may want to stay in the town overnight. You haven't said when in 2011 you are coming but many of the camping grounds book up a year in advance so other accomodation can also be hard to get between Christmas and the end of January. As well as Abel Tasman you might want to go to Pupu Springs and there are other walks of varying lengths in Golden Bay as well as the ones Abel Tasman. For Abel Tasman, there are a lot of walks of varying length and ease from Totaranui. The only accomodation I know of at Toraranui is the DOC camping ground but you could do a day trip there.

6. Re: I'm coming back again!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:21 am, June 03, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Abel Tasman National...