We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mountain-biking in Senj

Which Senj hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
zagreb
Level Contributor
881 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Mountain-biking in Senj

Once in a year in June Senj becomes a capital for Croatian amateur mountain-bikers. "Hillclimb to Zavizan from 0 to 1594 m" is a race which welcomes competitors as well as amateurs who can compare their physical fitness and exchange experiences acquired on different MTB races and rallies.

Whoever can not make it for the race should bring his MTB to Senj and explore its surroundings for himself. This means steep climbing to the height of about 700 m and diving into the shade of forests surrounding Senj. One entry to the comfort of shade is the village Oltari, second is mountain pass Vratnik and the third is the village Alan.

Comfort seeking riders can reach these villages by car and start cycling there.

Oltari is a good starting point for the National park North Velebit, for the bear orphanage at Kuterevo or the St Mary's national pilgrimage church in Krasno.

Vratnik allows rides to Otočac and the beautiful Gacka river valley.

Alan is on the way to deep forests and the national Olympic Training Center Bijelolasica.

Be first to explore this undiscovered bicycling paradise!

17 replies to this topic
vermont
Level Contributor
97 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mountain-biking in Senj

Sounds like a great place to mountain bike - we're looking for single track and local guides. Any suggestions? We were thinking of June timing

zagreb
Level Contributor
881 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mountain-biking in Senj

Hi, nice to see that you are interested! Examine possible trails on Google Earth and if anything is ambiguous do not hesitate to ask me. Local bike riders are available at bbk-senj@net.hr and all general information can be obtained from http://www.tz-senj.hr/en . Traditional MTB race Hillclimb to Zavizan or Uspon na Zavizan shall take place in the second part of June so examine internet for these keywords and use the opportunity to participate.

zagreb
Level Contributor
881 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mountain-biking in Senj

This year 2011 the 9th MTB Hillclimb to Zavizan from 0 to 1594 m shall start on Saturday June 18th at 10:00 am from the port of Senj and one hour later at 11:00 am from the village Oltari. Finish line for all is at the mountain refuge Zavizan 1594m higher inside the National park Northern Velebit and close to the one of the highest botanical gardens in Europe.

Report from the 2009 and 2010 races at Youtube:

www.youtube.com/watch…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1kg3A9EM_4

Welcome!

Skopje, Republic of...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mountain-biking in Senj

Hi, I'm from Macedonia and I think that I'll go to Senj on holiday on 1st of august and I want to take my dh mtb bike with me. Can anyone tell me if there is any dh track, or a bike park there. Thank you

zagreb
Level Contributor
881 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mountain-biking in Senj

There is no bike-park but you can get an idea on downhill at this site:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFfZJPYA9Uk

Skopje, Republic of...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mountain-biking in Senj

thank you.

zagreb
Level Contributor
881 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mountain-biking in Senj

In the last nine years Hillclimb to Zavizan from 0 to 1594 m has become the most popular amateur mountainbike race in Croatia. Organizers want to help all bikers who find it difficult to adjust their time schedules and participate in the race by organizing an "online" race for all those who have a time and position registration instrument like garmin and who can send the record of their accomplishment. Look at:

http://www.wix.com/malojcic/mtbzavizanresults

Madison, Wisconsin
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mountain-biking in Senj

My boyfriend and I will be in Croatia this spring and are planning a stop in Senj.

He is an avid mountain biker but we are not able to bring his bike with us for the trip (way too expensive)

Does anyone know of a place in Senj that would rent him a mountain bike?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

zagreb
Level Contributor
881 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mountain-biking in Senj

There is a mountain - bikers club on Senj:

bbk-senj@net.hr

and another more active in nearby Otočac which advertizes rent-a bike service:

…wordpress.com/category/barkan-rent-a-bike/

Try to be in Senj in the second half of June and take part in the most popular amateur MTB race " Uspon na Zavizan " .

zagreb
Level Contributor
881 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mountain-biking in Senj

Just heard that the road Jablanac - Alan has been paved. It is a wonderfull hillclimb leading to the mountain refuge where one can sleep and/or continue to walk along most interesting path on Velebit, Premužićeva staza . It is advisable to make only one half of the trail up to Rossi's hut and back unless transportation from the Zavižan mountain hut is secured.

Two bikers can start in the same time, one from Sveti Juraj up to Zavižan and the other from Jablanac up to Alan mountain refuge. After crossing the Premužić path in opposite directions they can exchange bike and car keys and enjoy downhill rides from both huts.

Reply to: Mountain-biking in Senj
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Senj