We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must choose betw. Cerveteri & Tarquinia Necropolisii - help!

London
Level Contributor
51 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Must choose betw. Cerveteri & Tarquinia Necropolisii - help!

We are a family of 4, with teen age children (17 & 15) on a driving tour around N and central Italy, and can oly visit 1 of these two. They both sound amazing. How long does it take to look at them? Which has more frescoes? Unfortunately, no time to go to the museum. If people could advise me, and why, I would be very grateful! Thanks!

3 replies to this topic
United States
Level Contributor
9,698 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must choose betw. Cerveteri & Tarquinia Necropolisii - help!

I would vote for Tarquina. The painted frescos are unique to that area. I spent over an hour there and wished I had more time but I also went to the Museum in town.

TAB

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must choose betw. Cerveteri & Tarquinia Necropolisii - help!

I'm pretty sure that's where we'll go too....

www.tarquiniaturismo.it/?page_id=315&lang=en

Peter

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must choose betw. Cerveteri & Tarquinia Necropolisii - help!

And no - as it turns out, the tomb I'm particularly hoping to visit, the 'Tomba dei Rilievi' - one that depicts an Etruscan home - is at Cerveteri...

http://www.flickr.com/search/?s=rec&w=all&q=Cerveteri+Rilievi&m=text

For an idea of what you may be able to see at the two places - although, as I gather, they open only a selection on any one day, try...

www.flickr.com/search/groups/…

... and...

www.flickr.com/search/groups/…

Peter

PS - don't know how far south you'll be travelling but, just after Naples and Salerno, there's Paestum - where the site museum features an interesting collection of painted panels from tombs found there..

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/paestum

Reply to: Must choose betw. Cerveteri & Tarquinia Necropolisii - help!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted