We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe to visit in current economic climate

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Safe to visit in current economic climate

Hello, we are thinking of visiting Fiskardo in August. Been before and indeed been to Greece many times... But now worried about the situation ... Should we be? Are there any shortages, restaurants closing, strikes etc? The villa we have stayed in before has water delivered and pumped; so obviously a concern if there are any strikes. Thanks. Paul

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Le Passage
$$ - $$$, Cafe, Greek
Odysseas Taverna
$$ - $$$, Mediterranean, Greek
Nicolas' Taverna
$$ - $$$, Mediterranean, Greek, Seafood
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe to visit in current economic climate

Hi there

The strikes and demos predominently affect Athens, the islands depend upon tourism for their survival and very little of what happens in Athens makes it to the islands. No one can foresee a strike of course but I wouldn't let that deter you from travelling, it certainly hasn't put us off, we go in September. Prices are being held at sensible levels as all business owners need to stay competitive to earn a living.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Hull
Level Contributor
773 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe to visit in current economic climate

I was in Kefalonia only last week. There is absolutely nothing of that nature to be concerned about as things stand. I did hear that business was 50% down in Fiskardo and the general mood is apprehensive to say the least.

Fiskardo has boomed in recent years and much more restaurant capacity established- this is bound to change IMO, and for the good.

We cannot be certain what the situation wil be so far in advance, but this month will bring a clearer picture as elections are (re) held and IMF/EMF decide if Greece will have yet more funding. The signs do not look good however again IMO, given the quotes by Merkel who seems to making funding conditional on subsuming fiscal control to Brussels. She rebuffed Obama's plea to find a solution.

I have previously advised taking Sterling as an insurance against being left with no means of payment. I'm unsure if there is a bank in Fiskardo, but I can categorically assure you the only bank in Sami closed recently with no warning, so if there isn't, you only have ATMs and 'corner shop' exchange unless you drive to Argostoli (70km?).

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Sami
Sami
Cephalonia, Greece
Lancashire
Destination Expert
for Fiscardo
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe to visit in current economic climate

Hi Paul

We returned from Fiscardo yesterday.

Little or no evidence of any problems be it shortages, closures etc. Panorama Taverna - outside the village was the only place that had closed. It was generally quiet during our first week but then it usually is (we tend to go the same time each year - give or take a week) The second week was much busier, both the apartments we stayed in this year and the hotel we had stayed in many times previously ,although not full were significantly busier than last year.

There's some doubts about August as thats usually the busiest month, when Italians and Greeks tend to visit so they really don't know what to expect this year.

Fiscardos only bank closed a few years ago but the ATM's were working - and yes full of euros!!

We took euros with us, as we usually do but topped up on our penultimate night. We did see many people paying by card at the restaurants/tavernas.

The nearest bank is in Agia Efimia and that was open as usual last week.

We're off to Meganisi in September and much as we love it there we have said that if it wasn't for the fact that we have paid such a large non refundable deposit we would probably have got back to Cephalonia in general - Fiscardo in particular!

Mentioned in this post
Fiscardo
Fiscardo
Cephalonia, Greece
Cephalonia
Cephalonia
Ionian Islands, Greece
4. Re: Safe to visit in current economic climate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:36 pm, June 04, 2012
Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
11,369 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe to visit in current economic climate

Returned from Ceph a week ago and visited Fiskado. As regular visitors to the island we noticed a slightly worried attitude by the business people but nothing affected us and most places were open. We took mainly Euros but as a backup for overspending we also took a "no charge" debit card and some Sterling. I changed £100 to euros in a jewellers in Agia Efimia and received 119 euros when two weeks earlier had only received 115 euros in England! Enjoy your trip and spend in local tavernas, cafes and shops.

Mentioned in this post
England
England
United Kingdom
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe to visit in current economic climate

Many thanks for all the replies. Very much put my mind at rest. I'll be booking tomorrow...obviously things can change, but genuinely feel that if we don't support the economy then the things that will be changing will be for the worse! Every little helps....

Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe to visit in current economic climate

To repeat a comment I made last year there is not a bank at Agia Efimia, it is an estate agent with an ATM on the wall. The estate agent correctly disclaims any liability for any problems with it, should they happen. It then suggests you contact the bank at Agostoli.

We will be going to Agia Efimia on friday 8th June 2012 and will take euros and some sterling as back up.

Like many on here I was pleased to hear the favourable reports that the local jeweller offers good exchange rates just by the harbour.

We intend having a good time, the weather has turned to the good with 31degree forecasts and are looking forward to helping the taverners and shops with our euros.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe to visit in current economic climate

The definitive advice I am reading currently from people wiser than I am is,if travelling out in the near future, to take holiday spends in euros (small denomination notes) and not be reliant on ATMs.Clearly the outlook for July onwards is muddied by the election this week-end.

A European Central Bank sub-committee is reportedly working on standby contingency plans for a currency catastrophe in Greece in the short term (let's face it they wouldn't be doing their job properly if they weren't being prepared!).They have denied it publicly but then they would deny it wouldn't they so as to preserve orderly behaviour.One of the specific subjects covered is a possible limit on, or temporary closure of, cashpoint withdrawals.

Already in Crete some petrol stations are refusing cards to pay for fuel demanding cash-only.This could spread beyond Crete.

If you have the time I recommend an article on p29 of The Times today by Jason Manolopoulos "Greece is already living in a drachma world".Doubtless it is available online.

I returned to UK from a holiday in Cephalonia 2 weeks ago.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Crete
Crete
Greece
Cephalonia
Cephalonia
Ionian Islands, Greece
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe to visit in current economic climate

Good advice as far as I'm concerned Scouse, take Euros in small notes and then you won't be reliant upon ATMs, whatever the situation may or may not be.

YORKSHIRE
Level Contributor
155 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safe to visit in current economic climate

Do you think there is any chance that Greece will drop put of the euro before august as this is when we are going and not really sure if this will affect or not ?

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Get answers to your questions about Fiscardo
Recent Conversations