We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how do we get from Luz-Faro airport on public transport pls?

england
Level Contributor
146 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
how do we get from Luz-Faro airport on public transport pls?

Hi

I understand you haveto catch a bus to Lagos, train to Faro and bus to airport can someone be kind enough to point me in the right direction for timetables for this pls? We are staying at Estrela da Luz and travelling back to the airport on Monday 15 October?

thanks for any help you can give

Beach Hut Watersports
Water Sports, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Kayaking & Canoeing, Waterskiing & Jetskiing, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
ASA Algarve Sea Adventures
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours
Estacao Arqueologica Romana da Praia da Luz
Ancient Ruins, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
50,795 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how do we get from Luz-Faro airport on public transport pls?

That's about right, but it is a difficult journey as the various buses and trains don't connect with each other.

On weekdays there is a bus from Luz to Lagos every 45 minutes. The main stop is by the church but there are others.

Bus times were posted at the church stop when I was last there but just in case you can download the timetable here

aonda.pt/templates/…Linha4Amarela.pdf

The timetable refers to Luz as Igreja Sra da Luz

The bus stops at the main bus station in Lagos (Terminal Rodoviario) which is a 5 minute walk from the railway station by the footbridge over the river at the marina.

Trains are very irregular - times at www.algarvebus.info/006.htm

fare is €7,15 it they are running. They are on strike all this week, so check nearer the time for more strikes.

As an alternative there are six through buses from Lagos to Faro on a weekday. Times here

www.algarvebus.info/002s.htm

You buy your ticket inside at the ticket office. They don't go on strike.

The bus and train stations in Faro are next to each other and there is a local bus to the airport once or twice an hour

www.algarvebus.info/003.htm

If by this time you would prefer a taxi, they wait at both places.

Although I am not a fan of the so-called shuttles you might make enquiries to see if you can get a pickup in Luz. Overall the travel times should not be much different to the bus/train/bus option but they do seemingly go to every other hotel in the Algarve picking up people.

I hope that helps.

Edited: 1:51 pm, October 03, 2012
england
Level Contributor
146 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how do we get from Luz-Faro airport on public transport pls?

what a fantastic answer thanks so much. We are going to leave Luz at about 10am and our flight is not until 5pm in the evening so we thought we would use the day just seeing a bit of Portgual as we don't plan on doing much whilst in Luz, just want to relax as we are both exhausted with work/life etc! I think I read somewhere that the train journey from Lagos to Faro is very nice, which was one of the reasons we thought we may do it. If we run out of time once we get to Faro we may indeed take a taxi. We will only have weekend carry on cases with us so not too bad to drag around with us.

Thanks again for such a comprehensive answer

merseyside
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how do we get from Luz-Faro airport on public transport pls?

why not get a private transfer or shuttle and relax both getting from and back from your accomodation ( which is a good slog uphill from bus stop in Luz)

england
Level Contributor
146 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how do we get from Luz-Faro airport on public transport pls?

We are getting private transport to the apartment but just want to spend the day going home exploring a bit of Lagos/Faro etc and as we have all day to do it thought it would be ok to do?

5. Re: how do we get from Luz-Faro airport on public transport pls?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 pm, December 14, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Luz