We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wasps- Four Seasons Studios and Apartments

Wirral
Level Contributor
2 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Wasps- Four Seasons Studios and Apartments

We're looking for a nice holiday at the beginning of June this year. We really just want a nice relaxing break and thought Thassos looks ideal. Issue is that I am reading lots of reviews saying that wasps are a real problem ( I also read that greek islands in general can have this issue but I never noticed them when I went to Kos). I kind of have a phobia of these little pests and if there are too many have a proper panic. Now most reviews state September as an issue. What I want to know it what it is like in June? Will there be loads that ruin my holiday or would that be the best time to go?

manchester
Level Contributor
464 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wasps- Four Seasons Studios and Apartments

We stayed at Golden beach in Thassos end of May/June and did not see one single wasp, we visited other resorts including Thassos town and did not see any wasps there either. September is the month for lots of wasps.

Manchester
Level Contributor
98 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wasps- Four Seasons Studios and Apartments

Agree with Rosey. We have been many times and almost always in June without any problem atall. We have been twice in September and this seems to be the time when they are dying off and cause the problems, mainly in restaurants and occasionally on the beach.

Wirral
Level Contributor
2 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wasps- Four Seasons Studios and Apartments

Thanks for your replies. Seems daft but I get a really constricted chest etc if I'm in the area of wasps so it's a comfort to know that I can spend a nice week in Thassos without hyperventilating and actually enjoy myself :) Is there anywhere in Thassos you would recommend to visit?

Grays Thurrock...
Level Contributor
147 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wasps- Four Seasons Studios and Apartments

The Bonehouse on top of Kastro is interesting , plus amazing views and Costa's magic tricks at the taverna there (the food is basic but very good as well) , the lake and waterfalls at Maries make a good trip , a swim in the Girola (the eye of zeus) is a must . Greek night at Taverna Avgoustos in Theologos is a great night out (if a bit touristy) , in fact a walk around Theologos itself is a great way to spend a few hours . There are Greek and Roman ruins scattered around the island , an ampitheatre at Limenas or for the more adventurous sign the visitors book at the top of mt Ipsarion (the highest point on Thassos). For the more "techy" there are quite a few geocaches scattered around the island .

North Wales
Level Contributor
60 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wasps- Four Seasons Studios and Apartments

Hi Gemj

Wasps can be a problem on Thassos, they seem to have a cycle of about four to five years when they become a problem, I supose it depends on wether it has been a harsh winter. in saying that we have not found them a problem in May or June before

Personally we dont really let them affect our holiday we just take simple precautions like eating inside if there are a few about.

To be honest we found more wasps tended to be on the golden beach side of the island, don`t let the fact that wasps can be around put you off this lovely island, go for it and enjoy .

Kindest Regards Andy

georgehotel
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Wasps- Four Seasons Studios and Apartments

WASPS- only a problem in some years (can't predict if 2013 will be a bumper year yet) but even then only AFTER mid- August, so you should be okay before then. Ask your waiters to burn Greek coffee on your table (frankly the best use for it) and it really repels the wasps if you are bothered by them.

georgehotel
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Wasps- Four Seasons Studios and Apartments

WASPS- only a problem in some years (can't predict if 2013 will be a bumper year yet) but even then only AFTER mid- August, so you should be okay before then. Ask your waiters to burn Greek coffee on your table (frankly the best use for it) and it really repels the wasps if you are bothered by them.

Grays Thurrock...
Level Contributor
147 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wasps- Four Seasons Studios and Apartments

KarenStavros !!!! I love sieving a nice cup of Greek coffee through my teeth !

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,986 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wasps- Four Seasons Studios and Apartments

We have been to Thassos twice in early June and never noticed any wasps. We stayed in the Thetis apts in Thassos Town, which are ideally situated for strolling into town either along the waterfront or via the main road

We prefer to stay in town as there are a better choice of tavernas and things to see and do, we use the excellent bus service to travel to different places, on the island, when the mood takes us

Thassos is a lovely little isalnd, very laid back and friendly and the short ferry ride is part of the experience, there is nothing like arriving at a Greek island by boat, so romantic!!

wigan
11 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Wasps- Four Seasons Studios and Apartments

hi andy hope you got my other post we have booked thetis again for 7th julyhope to see you and bet val and john wigan

Edited: 4:43 pm, February 03, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Thassos Town (Limenas)
More Thassos Town (Limenas) Topics