We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guia, Portugal, any info?

Which Guia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Guia, Portugal, any info?

I am staying in a Casa Josef Villa just a slight way up from the Guia FC football ground in mid August. Can anyone tell me, do they know the area of the villa and if so are there some good places to eat within walking distance and are there any shops within walking distance for example, bakers, mini market?

Thanks

Albufeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
3,238 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Guia, Portugal, any info?

Unlike Albufeira, Guia is not tourist driven and the surrounding areas are predominantly residential, so there are always plenty of restaurants open.

Liverpool, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Guia, Portugal, any info?

Been holidaying in Guia for over 20 years now and will be there early August again,would recommend the Palladium restaurant in Rua da Escolas as the best,there is a bakery in the village in the same road as the Palladium by the crossroads up from the football bar and the Health centre and school.It is open very early!!! but if you go down on first day you can place an order for everyday at fantastic value and still warm.

Tel

Liverpool

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Guia, Portugal, any info?

Thanks very much thats brilliant as my elderley relatives like to walk for fresh bread in the morning, so thanks very much

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
299 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Guia, Portugal, any info?

Ramires Restaurant in Guia is our favourite. We just got back from Carvoeiro yesterday and we found this restaurant to be the most typical portugese. Full of local families and the best chicken piri piri you will find. We went back there again and again as it was soooo good. MrsB.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
26 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Guia, Portugal, any info?

Hi,

We have just returned from Casa Josef and the villa is fantastic however it is not really walking distance to any restaurants or bars but this is because we had young children with us so it wasn't ideal for us. The closest was approx 20mins which is downhill going but would be a pain coming back.

There are some fab little places to eat and drink including the Sports Bar which was about 2 euro for a vodka and lemonade!!

We ate in O Vieria and Ramires and both were lovely and very reasonably priced. We also ate in Albuferia Old Town although this was very nice it was very expensive and we wished we had stayed in Guia.

Do use the macro card left for you by Joseph as Macro is the cheapest place to shop.

Also do take lots of mosquito spray as we did get bitten an awful lot.

If you have any problems do go to Santamero (opposite the football bar) they are very helpful and bought us out a coffee machine as there was not one in villa when we arrived.

Do go to the local bakery and order the pastis de nata- they were expensive but fabulous!!!!

Have a brilliant time

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Guia, Portugal, any info?

Hi enjoying the sun

Thanks so much for letting me know about the villa, can you tell me does it have wireless internet or is there a computer there that can be used?

Also did you have any mosquitoe repellent stuff with you and you were still bitten.

Is the macro card for the big shopping place inside the Algarve Shopping centre?

Thanks

Reading, United...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
27. Re: Guia, Portugal, any info?

Hope you enjoyerd the stay, we left the villa on the 18th, I bet all the beer etc we left (over bought at Macro was gone). We didnt walk to the village to far and hot at 6 oclock for the kiddies, which was a shame.Though we did go running at 5.30pm, twice to the main road and back....mad, but it made the beer after well deserved, locals looked strangly at us!!

But to be honest Guia was not quite what we expected in the evening, a bit quiet. We drove to Albuferia old town a couple of eves, but obvioisly the driver could not drink. We ate right by the beach and thought it was good value there!! But the villa was great, Gale beach was very good for the kids. We had no mozzy problems!!! I would go again and keep looking at the temperature there....30 today...

Reading, United...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
28. Re: Guia, Portugal, any info?

Hi We are holidaying in Gale this year flying in Aug to Lisbon, landing sat early pm. How long will it take to drive to Gale the fastest route. Thanks

Edited: 3:21 am, July 10, 2012
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
45,618 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Guia, Portugal, any info?

Asked and answered elsewhere!

portugal
Level Contributor
182 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Guia, Portugal, any info?

im reading all your comments...i used to live in Guia! I love Guia as a typical qaint un touristic town! There is everything you need in Guia....the best piri piri for us is "O veira!" which by the way now do take away deliveries!! Get their number and know your address ;) You have algarve shopping along the n125 if you fancy some shopping...you can eat there too..from macdonalds to portuguese! You have the main high street...with the chemist..opposite is the the Guia Football Cafe...very popular! and of course the bakery which is past the chemist right round the corner on a crossroads!! first left on this crossroads! You also have zoo marine not far from you..5 mins in car!! you do need a car if you want to get out and about tho! so my advice..hire a car for days out ...happy hollidays everyone! have a good one :)

Get answers to your questions about Guia
More Guia Topics