We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat trips/ferries to Skopelos/Alonissos

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,323 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Boat trips/ferries to Skopelos/Alonissos

We have half a plan to take a boat trip to one or both of the above islands one day next week. Looking at the ferry schedules, it looks like it isn't possible to go to either and spend more than 2-2.5 hours there without staying overnight - is that right? In which case it might be easier and better to go for a tourist boat trip to both islands, even though the time on each may be less.

So, please can anyone say what boat trips are currently on offer, the approximate costs, do they all go to both islands, and how long do they give at each port?

Finally, I've heard about the Mamma Mia trip, where does that go, and for how long, and is it likely to be remotely interesting for anyone not interested in the film? (sorry!)

Thanks All!

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
255 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boat trips/ferries to Skopelos/Alonissos

I think there are a few that do both islands. Unfortunately I can't recall the name of the boat (it had a red and white colour scheme i think, not too massive) but I took one in 2012 from the 'short' section of the harbour where it turns a corner after the ferry terminal. I think it was one of the cheaper ones at around 15 euros but it did do both Skopelos and Alonissos. You don't get a lot of time on each even though it is a full day, enough to have a bit of a stroll on each and get a feel of them though. Think the boat went from around the area opposite the restaurant on the harbour front with the Italian name? sorry being a bit vague here!

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Boat trips/ferries to Skopelos/Alonissos

Go to the old port in the evening, Pick a boat, negotiate a price (something like 25 euro/head from memory,.) and be back on the dock next morning. ( Pick a bigger boat if possible, less roll)

Skopelos town for 2-3 hrs and Alonnisos (Patitri town) for a couple of hours. and you get the Mama Mia Music as you go passed the Church before you get to Skopelos town to boot !!! A well worth while trip....awh

Gateshead, United...
Level Contributor
172 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boat trips/ferries to Skopelos/Alonissos

The Poseidon opposite Kabourelias on the old harbour does Skopolos, Alonnosis and the marine park. It's a great trip with a couple of hours in each place. I think we got it for about 15 euros each. It's one of the best boat trips!

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,323 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boat trips/ferries to Skopelos/Alonissos

Thanks everyone! I guess the lack of ferry info means I was right in thinking they aren't going to be an option.

Is the Mamma Mia tour based wholly around a church in Skopelos, or is there a lot more to it than that regarding locations?! After hearing about the film last year, I tried to watch it on TV but only lasted about 10 minutes...

5. Re: Boat trips/ferries to Skopelos/Alonissos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:30 pm, October 12, 2017
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,323 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boat trips/ferries to Skopelos/Alonissos

I think that's definitely settled that one - no Mamma Mia trip - thanks StarSkySunny!

I've been to both islands twice before on a day trip, but not for a long time - last time with our then toddler about 12 years ago, so no walking then :(

I was hoping that we would be able to get a couple of hours in at least one of them, but I guess it's not to be. I hope we get enough time to go up to the ridge above Patitri, I've not been there since 1989!

Yorkshire Dales...
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boat trips/ferries to Skopelos/Alonissos

Hi we went across to Skopelos on the ferry and came back on the fast cat but only had a few hours there and lots of the shops were shut after lunch. Watch out also as we were dropped at a small port and if you miss the bus to town you may struggle to get there for return ferry, we had to get a taxi. A bit more expensive but so worth it is to get a private yacht trip, George and Dina who have Argo on the front in Skiathos do a wonderful day trip including lunch, lovely people and a special trip with just a few guests on each trip.

Have fun!

Manchester,
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boat trips/ferries to Skopelos/Alonissos

We got the ferry last year it went out about 1030 and gave us about 3 or so hours before we returned. Went out on Express and back on Pegasus. Some ferries stop at Glossa before getting to Skopelos Town. Hope to do it again this year. Very enjoyable.

Skiathos, Greece
Level Contributor
49 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boat trips/ferries to Skopelos/Alonissos

Hiya,

I do the Skopelos Alonissos trip every Monday and Thursday on the St. Nicholas, starting from Skiathos Old Harbour. We stay for two hours on each island. Otherwise the ferries and catamarans/Flying Dolphins are a good option :)

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,323 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boat trips/ferries to Skopelos/Alonissos

Thanks everyone, some more ideas there to look at.

Get answers to your questions about Skiathos Town